PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Can anyone shed some light on Nordcoat??? This is a pipe by Eric Nording with a light coating with some darker shading on it. What is the coating and the purpose? Are they just gloppin up bad briars.?? thanx, Dog/// :wink:

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
Bounced around a bit after I saw this, and apparently this is something that is supposed create a life lasting coating that will color similar to meerschaum but not lose it's color for any reason. Supposedly all Nordcoat pipes should have the big man's signature on them, and the hubbub is that if they don't, they may be seconds. According to another post, there was a page on the Nording site some years ago that "guaranteed these pipes to color like meerschaum and provide a great cool smoke". I read on post that claimed to have one of these pipes from 30 years ago, so they must have been around for some time. Maybe Storient or another meer expert has heard of coatings like these before.. I didn't see anything about the pipes being lower quality briar as such, but I have just discovered the subject and will continue the search. I must say that I have not substantiated this with any official sites or sources, this is just what I have seen on multiple threads of blog/forum postings, some claiming to have checked it out, but yea... I will post again if I find anything more.

Reactions: Dolomitico

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
nordcoat-2-150x112.jpg
For anyone interested, here are a couple images of this interesting concept I found on my search..

nordcoat-1-150x112.jpg

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
thanx for info pipeshark & welcome. I now have a Nordcoat ( minus any signature ). Great smokin pipe and an interesting change from briar. They also come in some pretty interesting freehand shapes as your pics show. There is one on Ebay now that I believe the seller is offering as a meershaum (mistakenly). Might have to snag another in the future.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good info, Shark, and thanks for the research. I've seen these Nordcoats before and always hesitated pulling the trigger because they didn't generate a lot of interest among bidders. That's stupid, of course. Even if it is blemished briar, so what? Erik Nording is one of those guys who can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and I'll bet they smoke just fine.

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
Anytime fellas, and thank for the welcome. Nording has always been one of my favorites, but more for his hunters and classics. The free hands are neat and all, but I love the way briar takes to those curves that the Danish are so accomplished at creating. I have my first Neerup on the way and am sitting by the front window like an anxious dog lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.