echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
lE7vJxT.jpg

Such a young tin... Barely knew the inside of a pipe bowl... :(

Jan 8, 2013
Has red Virginias in it doesn't it?
I've just read that it does indeed http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10648/g-l-pease-temple-bar
They really need to nip that red virginia and mold issue in the bud. I want to try some new G.L. Pease and C&D blends that contain it, but I haven't yet because I keep seeing stories like this one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was going to order some Cairo tins a few weeks ago, but it also contains them. :(

Jan 8, 2013
I almost refrained from posting,
I'm glad you did, as I'm sure others will be too. Issues such as that are such that people need to know before they decide to order any of those blends. Unfortunately, it means I'll be putting off ordering anything with Red Virginia for a while still. And I REALLY want to try some of those blends. How young is the tin?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Well right now it looks like this:
ge-ideas-are-scary-hed-2014_0.jpg

But if you are nice to it and feed it properly, it may turn out to be the next penicillin and look like this:
GE_BirdCreature_Stage3_v42_004.jpg

You'd have to have seen the GE commercial...
In any event, sorry for your loss.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
It seems strange that the tins are fine when initially opened but develop mold shortly after. I was under the impression that C&D tins are not vacuum sealed, so shouldn't the mold spores start to grow in the unopened tin?
I bought 2 tins when TB first launched and they both developed mold. SP.com replaced the tins but I'm scared to open them now!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
So if I understand Echie...The tin has been open for awhile? Now guys...what can be done on our end to stop the mold after opening. I'm looking for more than just sticking it in a jar. That ain't gonna fix it. Nuking it maybe?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Yes. It's not even news anymore.
It will continue to be news as long as C&D allows for there to be tins in circulation that have mold growing in them.
I almost refrained from posting, but needed to vent my frustration :/
Nooooooo! Vent!
It was originally an issue with one C&D blend, then everyone sent tins back and were told is was resolved, then another blend popped up, and then it made it's way into the recent GLP releases? It seems to be a little here there and everywhere? It's an ongoing issue that I imagine they'd like to get a hold of sooner than later.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Looks freezerburned!
Folks should keep sharing their mold issues, as well as the resolutions from C&D or SP.c.
I'm tempted to open and check on my few C&D tins, but I'll wait at least until after the move.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
The tin says "8 1316", which I take to mean it's from August 2016. I purchased it on the 19th of August, and it had been open for about a month (yeah, I forgot to jar it) when I reached for it yesterday evening and saw the mold.
For the record, I emailed the seller and they promptly offered to replace the tine with any Pease blend. Which I found appropriate. But now I'm afraid to order more Temple Bar :/

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Shit, that is the same date as my tins of Temple Bar.
I still have not had the chance to return my tins of Carolina Red Flake (when the original issue raised it's ugly head). I am now thinking I should open all of my new tins from C&D production and confirm there is no mold. If there is, send them all back at one time for a refund.
This is becoming annoying. Thank you for sharing echie!

rodbuster3

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2016
I myself do not but i know alot of people that get mold on there cigars just rub it off and smoke them i guess it would be a little different with pipe tobacco being its not a smooth surface

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have over 20 of those sitting in the cellar. I might just send them back. Really don't want to open them, but 5 years from now, I will feel like an idiot for not doing so. There really is no excuse for this level/magnitude of screw-up. Question, If I open them all and jar them, will that prevent mold development??? Seems like it would offer no protection, but just thought I would ask. I hate returning stuff. If I knew it would "solve" the problem, I would just jar them up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That may be the mold that leads to the new antibiotic to kill the bacteria that is resistant to the antibiotics we already have! Now that might make the FDA think twice about impeding the development of new blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.