PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
OK I'm an outdoor smoker. Even in the Winter.
But sometimes I'd prefer an indoor smoke... if only because it's more practical at the moment.
So my question.....any chances of setting off the fire alarm indoors when smoking a pipe?
I know..pretty paranoid, right? But the fire department showed up one day at my doorstep because my kids left the popcorn in the microwave too long.
Please tell me i'm just paranoid and I have nothing to fear......

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Have been smoking inside for 40 years around fire alarms and have never set one off. But, as a retired

fire fighter after the Marine Corps, I can't promise that it would never happen as all alarms are

set initially at the same setting, but different sensitivity settings can occur after the passage of time.

My own department showed up at my door years ago when I burned 3000 calories one night. (Forgot the

pizza in the oven).

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
I think it might depend on the proximity of the alarm, I always smoke inside and have never set off the alarm, not even when I smoked cigarettes in the house 16 yrs ago. Just my 2 cents worth. :puffy:

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
No smoke alarms set off for myself either. Prefer to smoke outside though. Especially at night when the sky is blanketed with stars and the moon shines its light off in the distance.

Sorry I got a little poetic there lol

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Once. I was reprogramming my thermostat for the HVAC and was puffing away, right under the alarm. Scared the crap out of me.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Take the battery out.
Pop it back in when you're done.
Unless it calls the FD when it's been disconnected too long... Which would be dumb.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I set mine off a few weeks ago because I was standing right underneath the one in the kitchen when I lit up, other than that bone head move, it has never gone off.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've probably smoked enough tobacco inside over the years to fill an F150 though I've never actually owned one.Never set off any alarms.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I like to smoke outside , but West Nile got me kind of worried, Texas and La are having issues with it, Texas haveing the most, at my age not something to screw with. The old cajun

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I smoke in my gameroom mostly..haven't ever even on poker night with 5-7 smokers all at once...in the house I have a air purifier right next to me so...no

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
those changes in sensitivity settings of which you speak happen as a result of the accumulation of dust, or as i've observed once, from a spider deciding to build a web over the sensor.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I set an alarm off one evening in a motel room. Sure, it was a little hazy in there but I didn't think it was that bad. And it was a smoking room.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
You might want to get new smoke alarms if they are touchy? We had one that would go off when we opened the bath room door after a shower or boil some water for spaghetti. I tore that sucker off in a fit of frustration one night and threw it out on the front lawn. Replaced it and never had any more issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.