Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
All,
Please forgive my relative n00bness. I have yet to purchase any 250g boxes of tobacco, because I just don't smoke that much, but have been tempted by a few blends that are available now that I can't find anywhere in 50g tins. Are these boxes typically sealed well? They look like they are just wrapped in plastic. Really what I want to know is the if I purchase one from a smaller tobacconist, is it going to show up with 250g of tobacco that needs to be rehydrated?
Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you're talking about the recent Gawith drop, you should be okay. Ordered four boxes for my wife to keep her out of mine. :rofl:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you're talking SG, you should be fine receiving fresh tobacco. However, you'll need to transfer the tobacco to mylar bags or Mason jars for longer term storage. I just got 4 lbs of SG blends in, they were moist as usual.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
As soon as you get the box, jar in new Ball Jars (canning jars with the two piece lids)

Label the top of the jars and keep one out to enjoy now. Stash the rest in a cool dark spot.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Some pounds Ive bought were in air tight ziplock bags, and some were vaccume sealed. Either way I just jar everything right away.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, I was planning on jarring it all immediately, just wanting to know if it would be dry or not when it showed up. Rehydrating 250g sounds like a pain in the ass.
Thanks all!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The boxed tobacco will be going into jars, there has never been any question about that, the boxes obviously do not appear to be good for long term storage. I was simply wondering (for that reason) if anyone has experienced any variation in what condition the box itself would show up to the doorstep as far as moisture content, given that the retailer may have held on to it for some time.
Question asked and answered though, as I was referencing the recent SG drop that folks have previously mentioned, so I should be in good shape.
Thanks all.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I received four 250 gram boxes of 1792. Each box was wrapped in plastic wrap, then individual freezer bag and then all four put in a very large freezer bag. That was two-three years ago. I opened on this week and it was very wet.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would never store my tobacco in a box like the one SG uses. The plastic wrap is something I don't want touching my tobacco long term. All of my SG bulks came wrapped in wax paper then boxed and then plastic wrap sealing it. All of mine was purchased in 2012 and back then they used the wax paper. I jarred all my pounds of SG flakes and they are still as moist today as back when I cellared them.

Status
Not open for further replies.