PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peanubutter

Lurker
Jan 5, 2013
After diving into the tobacco reviews here and noting the rave reviews for a particular blend I would use my google-fu and do a search. The sites for the vendors might have what I was looking for but some sites had complete pages with "Out of Stock" items. I should preface this with my thought that smoking is on the decline(?), stuff should be readily available...taking into account the recent holiday rush. Another bit of knowledge knocking on my noggin 'now' is no shipments out of the UK. And the final slap was companies out of business but still appearing in some cases at the top of the Google search.
So after an obvious late start on this quest on my part I am now collecting and sampling. I hope to finish my PHD (pipe hoarding development) and move to the honored state of PAD and TAD.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Depends on the vendor you are looking at. Some have stock, some don't sometimes.
Another reason why things are out of stock is because, a) its posted on a forum and people buy it all out, or b)there is a limited quantity to begin with.

peanubutter

Lurker
Jan 5, 2013
My point is that starting out has a learning curve. Not only technique but blends and pipes. Tobacco reviews trigger a search for a product I guess. The post was meant to be what it is like, for me, venturing back to pipes from cigars with a bit of humor. I'm not looking for anything at the moment as I have several shipments on the way.

Jan 8, 2013
Another reason why things are out of stock is because, a) its posted on a forum and people buy it all out...
I was only able to get 5 tins (literally the last 5 tins) of Black Frigate from the tobaccopipes.com sale.... Probably at much fault of my own and the other Brothers of The Black Frigate :rofl:

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Another bit of knowledge knocking on my noggin 'now' is no shipments out of the UK.
I'm a trifle confused by this. Do you mean they don't ship to the UK, or do you mean they don't ship from the UK?
I see from your earlier posts that you're from Wyoming, hence my confusion. If it's the latter, I have to ask why are you trying to order from UK websites, as opposed to US ones?
Sorry if that's a stupid question - I'm very new to all this, but as a Brit my problem is finding good online UK stockists.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Tobacco cannot be shipped from the UK to the US.
The reason why some would want to order from the UK is that some blends are not available in the US.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
The reason why some would want to order from the UK is that some blends are not available in the US.
Ah. Well I wouldn't have expected that. Thanks for clarifying.
All the videos I've been watching of late feature Brits unboxing backy from the US. I suppose each nationality wants what they can't have.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tobacco reviews trigger a search for a product I guess.
I tend to go after the lesser heard of blends. The whole Black Frigate thing started with me in the late '90s and when I spoke highly of it on here a few years back things sort of snowballed.

peanubutter

Lurker
Jan 5, 2013
Searching for tobacco on Google returns a large number of results. Stumbling on a few links reveals the tobacco is from the UK or Germany. The vendors on the few UK sites indicate UK shipping only. When looking I tend to dig down on the Google pages way past page 1 or 2. I may have gone to 20 or 30 pages just to see where those end up. Ending in some interesting finds. I wasn't going to order from the UK or outside the US. The original post was just a compilation of what my results have been in the last month. Maybe it was bad timing with the holidays or a vendor not maintaining a web site of discontinued items or out of stock items. But, still keeping the listing name to draw in traffic. Kind of like the grocery store placing dairy items in the back of the store, drawing you into purchase additional items on the way back. Sales tactics at their best I guess.
Anyway, it is what it is. No worries, really. And I agree with miketompson's comments.
Wyoming isn't a tobacco rich environment. We have a small shop with a humidor in town. I usually have to drive to Colorado or order on-line. Few restrictions on smoking though and any restrictions are usually at a city level, not county.
Being introduced again to pipe sites has been great and I'm enjoying the experience overall.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
nobody has anything i want. but got lucky and found a tin of squad leader. then some dunhills. still it seems like lot of brands are not readily available now days.

Status
Not open for further replies.