PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolver

Lurker
Apr 1, 2014
Hey All,
So I'm needing a new hobby, aside from just collecting and smoking pipes. So I thought perhaps I would give a try to making my own pipes. Granted, I know my first ones will be pretty crappy but hey, as the kids say YOLO.
So I would love for anyones advice on the do's and don't of this. Hell, if anyone wanted to spend the day showing me a few tricks, that would be awesome (I'm in N. Georgia). But would love others expertise and know how.
Things like what equipment should I consider right off? How do I know if I have a good briar? What's the best type of stem to work with?
Anyway, I appreciate the help.
Thank peeps.
Matt

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi Evolver, welcome to the forum.
There are a lot of great primers on YouTube. But for a great online resource you should check out http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/ as a compendium and community of pipe makers.
I look forward to seeing your work.
-- Pat

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Sounds exciting. Are you going to start with some classic shapes or jump into some artsy sculptures?
Oh yeah, and welcome aboard!

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Welcome to this forum, and just about any pipemaking question you could possily have can be answered here:

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/index.php
A wealth of knowledge can be found there.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I have three blocks of briar. Two are pre-drilled, one just a raw block. They were purchased about 3 to 4 years ago when I too had the notion that I would like to craft my own briar pipe. To this day, they remain in block form, unmolested by knife, rasp or sander. I was intimidated and (maybe just a touch) just plain lazy.
There is a vast wealth of knowledge available on the subject. Read some, watch some videos, but for crying out loud, make a pipe...then keep doing it. Otherwise, you'll have a briar doorstop.
Oh..welcome.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'd say just do it. I'm also interested in trying my hand at it and have been absorbing as much as possible on the interwebs. I'm ordering the Pimo book as it is highly recommended even from established pipe carvers. I've made primitive archery equipment in the past and have a lot of tools needed to do the job but I don't have a lathe. Hand tools seem more than adequate for the kit pipes. I'm more than likely going to make this a winter time project/hobby seeing that my wife has a pretty lengthy outdoor project list going for this warm season. I can't think of a better way to pass those long, cold winter nights than to make some briar dust while puffing along. Good luck and post pics of your handi-work.

Status
Not open for further replies.