PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
Hey guys!

Been looking into trying Native American smoking blends like Kinnikinnick and other Native American blends, I have tried basic Kinnikinnick and enjoy it but I wanted to know what mostly tobacco smokers think about these NA blends? There is a really interesting site grandsfathersspirit that has a ton of tobacco and non-tobacco blends. Anybody with any knowledge/experience?

Kinnickkinnick seems to be made of whatever the Native American selling it thinks it is. Reports from many early explorers said that the the Kinnickkinnick was a strong tobacco mixture, and some archeologist of botanicals say that it was rustica tobacco, which is the strongest nicotine laden tobacco plant. Recently many Native Americans have been re-writing their history with a PC pen, and saying that kinnickkinnick was berries and herbs without tobacco. Will we ever know the truth? Who cares. I'll not be smoking berries and herbs. I'd smoke a Lane aromatic before I'd try that stuff.

I'd suggest reading some of the books on the history of tobacco. Otherwise, smoke the crushed berries and leaves if you want. It's probably worse for you than any tobacco on the market, as far as other chemicals involved.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
One herb that I am currently growing and intend to try smoking is Mullein.
Here is some info if you are interested:
http://www.smokableherbs.com/mullein/

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A little more:
Mullein is regarded as being a protection herb and is used in many situations where extra protection is required. It's also thought to have masculine energy and associations with fire - some traditions have used it when trying to invoke fire elementals - but it's equally helpful when used by men or women. It is a grounding, calming and healing herb.
Damiana and Lungwort are also commonly used along with Mullein. These can be smoked straight or mixed with tobacco.

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
Not weed lol. Actually Cosmic most of the mixtures have plenty of tobacco and they claim to adhere to a classic recipe, just curious about the non tobacco blends as well

Classic recipe? I'd have to take that lightly. Even Native American religions and beliefs were almost all lost up until Wounded Knee, where they made up a new religion for themselves. I don't mean to disparage Native American cultures at all. I just mean to point out that because of what our greedy forefather's did to them, they lost most of what they knew. Sure, they have every right to believe what they want. I would just "question" what is said to be classic or ancient.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cobguy, my first kinnick kinnick mixture I ordered has mullein, I enjoy it.
Good to hear! This is one of my plants and I plan to harvest it when the leaves just start to yellow:
16%2B-%2B1

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
I have no clue how to harvest or anything like that, I think it would be cool if you posted more updates as you start harvesting and blending. Pretty cool stuff

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
As in any culture there are going to be variations on a theme. Kinnick I think is a generic term for what is smoked in a sacred peace pipe ceremony. I've only ever been in a Smudging Ceremony with Ghost Sage, so I can't speak to the other. Yes, Mullein, Damiana, Lungwort and others are mixed with tobacco.
Native American culture wasn't homogeneous. There were, and are, differing customs and beliefs among tribes. Oral history has been shown to be an EXTREMELY effective conveyance of knowledge and lore, especially when reinforced through ceremony and stories around the campfire, so to speak. I'm sure some folks make stuff up, but I firmly believe there are good strong foundations of long held tradition forming the bulk of current belief systems.
Mphssteach - Great topic.
Cobguy - Nice plant, I hope it serves you well.
Cosmic - The tribes you speak of were Plains/Southwestern. The new religion was in response to a prophet and war and served the psychological needs of the time. It didn't necessarily wipe out the older beliefs, merely accentuated specific parts and added new dimensions to existing paradigms. The Pottawatomie here in Indiana (the state named after all the diverse Indian tribes found here), for example, have retained a strong connection to their past knowledge and beliefs in spite of white man's activity.
But then, I'm only fractionally French/Indian and an Anthropology Major, so you folks may want to continue to do your own research. :)

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I have really enjoyed a KinnickKinnick recommended by someone here on the forums... but for the life of me, I cannot find the maker or where I got it. It has about a half dozen different herbals in it and I find it very pleasant.

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
I ordered some new tobacco free stuff called bear blend, they suggest to mix it with tobacco to have a great smoke so I thought I would do some trial and error for the forum ;)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You can smoke dandelion leaves and also colts foot but on the whole they taste like crap. That being said they can be used to stretch out meager tobacco supplies. A sort of 'Hamburger Helper' for the chronically short of tobacco or for those of you who are of a thrifty bent.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Cobguy, that stuff grows wild all over the place here in CT. I didn't know what it was.
When I was a kid in NYC back in the "arcade days", it seemed smoking tea bags while playing gauntlet was the thing to do. My suggestion is if you want to experience medicine, do the obvious as long as so doing keeps you in compliance with local laws.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Off-topic, but, dang bigpond, you just threw me back to my childhood playing "Golden Axe" and "Elevator Action" in my local pizza shop.
Back on topic, I wonder if non-tobacco smoking blends will see a surge in popularity in light of the current FDA regulations? I could see the non-nicotine dependent hobbyist crowd (hipsters?) gravitating in that direction in search of new/different flavors.

mphstteach

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
West Virginia
I think it's an interesting alternative maybe even alternative being the wrong word how about addition to your smoking repertoire. I love pipe tobacco the smell and the relaxation is what drew me to the Hobby. I also find it interesting to learn and study about natural smoking mixtures not involving tobacco so I'm excited to try out some of my new purchases and if you all are interested I'll post pictures and my thoughts in this thread

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Off topic...

it seemed smoking tea bags
Again, you took me back to my childhood overseas, where I smoked loose leaf long cut tea (from a local plantation) as well as coffee grounds. I know, I know. but I was young and tobacco was un-obtanium for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.