Non-Plug or Flake Straight Virginia, Recommendations?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I'm working on a short list for my next trip south and I realized it includes all plug or flake. I'm looking for recommendations for a straight Virginia tobacco of medium strength (which leaves out DBE), non-aro, cuts include ribbon, shag, ready rubbed, etc, basically anything not in a solid form. It would also be nice it it was readily available, and also available in bulk, but that's not a necessity.
5100 is probably an obvious choice. Royal Yacht is apparently "Virginia Based" with no indication of other contents and MacB Virginia #1 has some seriously mixed reviews, some even claiming it's an Aro.
So, what say ye? What can I get to try that would be easy to pack in a pouch and quick to load with no muss or fuss?

VA #1 is not an aromatic, but it is about the bitiest Virginia I can think of. None bitier. But, it is also a broken flake.
You've already said Red Cake (5200)

Look at McCrannies Red Ribbon, availible only at McCrannies.

H&H Marble Cake, which is Annie Cake without the Perique.

D&R Windsail Regular
If it can have a tad bit of perique, I could make a list a mile long of loose cut Virginias with a hint of perique, or a hint of burley, or an oriental.
I love ribbons, and McCrannies is the one that I keep the most of on hand. Marble Cake and Windsail are also my two worth noting that I keep on hand, but Red Ribbon is the best, IMO>

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
McClelland's Black Shag from the 221b series is a wonderful smoke (though not sold in bulk).

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I would recommend Ashton Gold Rush. I don't think it's available in bulk, but it is only $9.00 for a 50g tin at P&C.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
My two cents, C&D Bright Ribbon, McC 5100, and McC 5105 Stoved Virginia. These can be mixed in different proportions to create some very good smokes. Add some MacB Scottish Mixture for even more dimension. These four are part of my everyday blend, and are all available in bulk.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Many I've never heard of so I have some reading to do.
Deathmetal, no ropes for this list. Looking for something easy to prepare and not so strong.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Though not quite a ribbon cut, I would highly recommend Erik Stokkebye's 4th Generation 1855. I guess it would be considered a broken flake, but pretty much good to pack right out of the tin, very little prep required.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Damn, Capstan is quite expensive, isn't it? I wonder what the reason is for that?
I'd say just get FVF and rubbed it out all at once right away
Actually, I don't get much good out of FVF when rubbed out smoked outdoors. Any draft of breeze at all and it smokes way too hot.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Astley's #44 is a really good broken flake. Also, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. Bother are cheaper than the Capstans.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
SG Medium Flake or Golden Glow; same blend but different names. It comes as a kind of broken flake/ready rubbed kind of consistency, at least the bulk does.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I'll second the McClelland 221B recommendation. That blend took me by surprise as reviews tend to call it boring or bland. It's not.

These recommendations for non-bulk tins cracks me up. In the spirit of the OP, SG Best Brown is great and comes in bulk, but itnos a flake. I'm not the biggest FVF fan, but at least it does come in bulk. You might also check out GH&co Curly Cut Delux. It's a little discussed Virginia that is quite tasty. It's a sloppy sliced coin flake, almost a ribbon. It's at least a tad easier to pack than broken flake.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
G&H bright CR flake.

Christmas Cheer by McClellend's

Blackwoods flake by McClellend's
Oops I thought you meant you wanted flake by the title thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.