PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetesttooth

Lurker
May 3, 2013
I just had gotten my first non aromatic tobacco. Orlik golden sliced, took a little to get accustomed to the taste but i ended up liking it a lot.
My only complaint was that smoking it enough it leaves this tingly spicy sensation on my tongue. Its not tongue bite smoking some aromatics i would know the difference i would hope.
But are there any tobacco's similar in flavor minus that spicy kind of additive or just have a stronger flavor all together. Also any really good flavored non aromatics that you can recommend outside of Virginia tobacco as well?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orlik golden sliced, none better in my book. You might rub it out a little more and try it in a smaller

bowl, and/or smoke it slower. I don't think it will leave you with any bite or tenderness, as will some

Virginia, in my experience. Also, you might find it improves with a little time -- not aging, just having it

open (but closed in the tin) for a week or two, if it lasts that long. It smokes like a blend, lots of

subtle notes and tones, but really nuanced. Mighty fine.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
sweetesttooth:
I believe the spice you're experiencing is perique. Perique, a fermented, condimental leaf, can bring a unique richness to any blend, and it can help to cool off an otherwise hot blend. But it's also known for its peppery, Jalapeno-like spiciness that some are quite sensitive to. (I can't smoke it in anything but the tiniest quantities, due to an extremely low tolerance for perique.) If you'd like to try a very good Virginia flake without perique, there are many options. I'm currently enjoying a tin of Dunhill Flake and can highly recommend it. Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake is another very popular blend.
That said, I thoroughly enjoy Rattray's Marlin Flake, which is said to contain a small amount of perique. But it might be present at a more appealing level for you. Otherwise, if you simply don't want perique in your blends, I'd just encourage you to read labels thoroughly, check TobaccoReviews.com for comments, and ask here if you're not sure. (Some blenders are less forthcoming about the leaf in their blends than they should be, in my opinion. But experienced smokers can usually detect perique, burley, etc. when the blenders might not mention it themselves.)
Bob

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Another thing that most new smokers have a problem with is smoking to fast -- doing this makes smoking Virginia blends a real PITA, since Virginias -- any virginias -- bite like a rabid dog when pushed.
Crucial, crucial, crucial! Sip those Virginias - don't be afraid to have your pipe go out.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Good blends with which to begin your adventure in Virginias are McClelland #27 and McClelland Craftsbury: Virginia Woods.
Keep in mind that there are an amazing number of Virginia varieties, and usually appear in combination.

Add to that the number of "Virginia forward" blends supported by Burleys, Orientals, and condiment leafs,

and you'll soon realize that this exploration will take a lifetime.
BTW, if you want to transition from aromatics to Virginias, try Low Country Santee, a tasty Virginia aromatic.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
DO NOT give up on Perique.
I can't speak for the OP's situation, but for me, it is literally painful to smoke perique, as if my mouth is being pierced with a fistful of needles. Years ago, I was simply attributing it to severe tongue bite. . . then I slowly figured out that it happened with a cool pipe and only with blends containing perique.
Marlin Flake I can handle fine. But I recently opened a tin of Dark Fragrant, which is also supposed to have only a small quantity of perique, and it was evident immediately that it might be a borderline smoke for me. Oddly, I was able to enjoy Haddo's Delight for a while, but the nicotine ended up being the problem there. (The memory of being nicotine sick was so strong, I actually had to sell the pipe in which I'd smoked the fateful bowls; I never wanted to smoke another bowl in that thing -- or feel that way again.)
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.