PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I sure am sick of the U.s. Gov. telling Me that I can't smoke. If You don't like Me smoking My pipe out side then get on Your feet and walk away from Me, I won't walk behind You puffing. And back when I was in the U.S.M.C. the U.S. Gov. put smokes in with our C-rats so I think the Gov. better take another look. (Dumb ASSES) :crazy:

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
We shouldn't lay all the blame the government, it is these people who like to push into our hobby or habit which ever type of smoking you do. Like you said people who don't like smoke can do as i do when I am sitting around a campfire and the smoke annoys me and move. If the need help I will gladly put my pipe down and help them.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Back when..... blah blah blah! :crazy: Seriously, you can't smoke? FYI most smoking laws are state and local issues. Really, you can't smoke or you can't smoke anywhere you please? 8O

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
daveinlx, I just mean more and more places are no smoking and the laws make it that way, it should be up to owners of places if You can or can't not the Gov. state or U.S. thats all. I understand that some places need to and should stay smoke free, but there are alot that had to and Gov. passes the laws.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
There's an attitude among those in political office that really burns my toast.There's no smarts in those ties they hang around their necks.They are not smarter than us.We are adult enough,and wise enough to make our own decisions.I didn't get to be 69 years old by being stupid.As I sit typing this post I hear fireworks outside.Those fireworks are celebrating freedoms that we're suppose to have.At the same time those we've elected to protect those freedoms feel that they can take away some of them if they choose to.Where do they get their arrogance.If they get away with it smoking won't be the last one they come after.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, we used to get Lucky Strikes, or Pall Mall non filters in our C-rations...that was so we could field strip the butt, no filters.
I honestly think the World has gone nuts!....it's the lack of sugar, and salt in the diet.
We need sugar for our brains to function properly, and what with the no sugar, no salt fiasco that has been going on for the past few decades, people are walking around in a brain fogged condition.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
100% right on the nail ace.

the sublties of fed, state, county city, prostiting your and mine constitutional right is enough to make you sick.

if people did resolve against the lunitics would send in swat or national guard and the courts would bleed your resources dry. g-damn it, protect and support your own first and do the right thing.

today its the government by the business and for the busness and screw the people and for the people screw.

next thing polititians will want restrooms dedicated just for them with a bar and lounge and toilets with glory holes.

politicitians truly are a waste of good oxygen. nobody is better at it.

phewwwwwwwwwwww

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
What government is any good we here in the uk are up against it just like you guys in the states. I say this if women can have women only clubs why can't we have smoking only pubs, clubs or bars doesn't this become a discrimination issue?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I dunno, it seems to me that more and more lawmakers are realizing the issues that go along with total smoking bans...more and more posts lately have been regarding legislation being re-written to allow exclusions for adult oriented business such as bars and tobacconists. Hell, even here in British Columbia, we have exceptions in place for hookah lounges (and hopefully tobacconists) soon. Don't get me wrong, I hate that I have to consider where I am in proximity to windows, air intakes, small children, and the elderly before I light up, but at least we are starting to see some movement back in the right direction.
Part of the problem is that our countries view tobacco smoke as the ultimate poison; WHIMIS has safe known exposure levels to asbestos, radiation, and a whole host of industrial and agricultural chemicals (read: poison), and yet tobacco smoke is given a safe level of 0. Fundimentally, sheeple will agree with anything written by a PhD and published by a government or public watchdog organization, no matter how thin the supporting evidence laid out is. Sadly, the opposite is true of corporations and their supporting interests...with tobacco and petrolium leading the path for public hatred. Of course, petrolium gets off somewhat lighter because we are all dependant on oil and somehow it isn't linked to pulmonary or cardiological diseases; something I find very ironic as I watch the traffic bellow exhaust, see the freighters and tankers destroy the Indian Arm, and watch the chemical and petro-chemical plants belch black crap into the air from my patio...none of which I would put up to my lips and puff.

torcoman

Lurker
Apr 14, 2011
Hmm well fellows here in Greece they banned smoking from all the cafeterias and bars you can smoke only outside. However, nothing happened people here still smoke while the law applies. Greeks are very resistant to that law and even the people that run the stores etc are resistant. Greeks + smoking is something that can not be separated and almost all the south Mediterranean countries have a strong relationship with tobacco.
From my point of view is ridiculous that they try to have a law that bans smoking. I want to have my coffee or beer while smoking what the hell is your problem mister?why should i be forced not be able to go to a bar/pub and to smoke. Its racism. Smokers have rights as well. And for the love of God we all know the dangers of smoking. Smoking is bad yea like dozen of other things that we breath every day and are in the atmosphere.
I wouldnt smoke while there are families with children around duh but in bars/pubs? Are you serious?
Ace57 is it true what i heard that in some stated in the USA they banned smoking even outdoors?

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Let Me clear that some towns and citys, If I didn,t make that clear I know I,ll hear about it!!! :puffpipe:

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
I have spoken to someone in the tobacco trade a while ago, and again tonight i spoke to a smoker outside the pub i visited. They have both been to europe and over there to their amazement there were ashtrays inside the establishments they went into upon asking how come being in the european union and the smoking ban was set by european government are you still allowed to smoke inside. The answer given was they can't police it and we just carry on. It appears we are being laughed at as we follow the rules to the letter yet over in europe they don't bother.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Get Real! The biggest issue facing smokers is not the government but business owners and their insurance companies invading off work privacy. They are taking tobacco free to a new level. It's getting very common to see verifiable no tobacco as a condition of employment. They want to control legal behavior even when your not at work. I'd be way more suspicious of a CEO than any government official. Other than that in my long years reading pipe forums wives are way tougher on pipe smokers than the government guys bitch and moan about smoking bans but they can't even smoke in THEIR OWN HOME or CAR. 8O

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
hahahaha ace thanks for the applause :worship: i wonder what would happen if all smokers made a stand and called a bluff to the ban and just start smoking. As i mentioned before could this not be a case of discrimination and what happened to the freedom of societies were supposed to be living in. Is the united states not the land of the free like us here were supposed to have free will too but yet i am starting to see more and more dictatorship and our governments are nothing more than stage puppets for the european government.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
wonder what would happen if all smokers made a stand and called a bluff to the ban and just start smoking. As i mentioned before could this not be a case of discrimination and what happened to the freedom of societies were supposed to be living in. Is the united states not the land of the free like us here were supposed to have free will too but yet i am starting to see more and more dictatorship and our governments are nothing more than stage puppets for the european government.

LOL!! When we were fighting our proposed local and later state ban The ACS turned us out aprox 30+ to 1 at the public hearings. Talk is very cheap. Getting smokers to turn out for hearing and lobby days is very difficult, 0 motivation. 8O

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
daveinlax that's sad and the only thing i can say to that is if some or majority of smokers can't be bothered to fight for something they enjoy then there's no point in the majority complaining which means the few that are complaining can't be heard as there is no resounding echo from all. I know on here we debate the issue but is that enough?, i don't think so. It needs to be heard in a bigger arena. I wonder what would happen if a bar was setup for smokers only, no doubt a big fat fine on the door step, but i say this 'discrimination' pure and simple.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I wonder what would happen if a bar was setup for smokers only

That had been a thought here but the Tavern League caved early. No politician wants to say no, with just a little effort we kept pipe/cigar shops smoke friendly and that was a big win in a VERY POPULAR smoking ban. If the people had their way cigarettes would be illegal no question about it.

Right now I'm far more concerned with workplace smokers discrimination. They lump a casual pipe/cigar smoker who might enjoy a pipe after work or a stick on the golf coarse a couple times a week with a 2 pack a day cigarette smoker or the guy with the perma lump and spit cup on his desk. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.