PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Just thought I'd share this article about the "Ghost Ship" The Mary Celeste.

Very strange.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2011/12/the_mary_celeste_the_unluckiest_ship_to_ever_sail_the_seven_seas_.html

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Interesting stuff. From what I have seen and read about the case, the crew were probably worried that the cargo was smouldering and about to burst into flames - I forget the nature of the cargo for now, but it was something that had a risk of combustion. They may have boarded one of the lifeboats, attaching it to the ship with a rope so they could see what happened from a safe distance. Perhaps the rope wasn't tied or done badly and once they realised, they were unable to catch up with the ship. But we will never know for sure. I wonder what happened to the pipes left behind? That would be a cool think to have in your collection!

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
It would be interesting to know exactly what type of tobacco was typical for a sailor of that era to smoke. Anybody have an insight ?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Interesting article, and I think at that time sailors smoked twist tobacco? As I understand it was easy to store. They would also add a splash of rum/grog to improve the flavor. You can find twists on line but I hear they are strong medicine!

Status
Not open for further replies.