PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
Well, I know this comes up often and I just wanted to add my two cents to it. So far I've found a packing method that generally is kinda adapted from what I've been hearing and reading, and so far, it doesn't require more than one relight since I began trying it, so, if anyone wants to try it, give their two cents?
Involves quite literally sprinkling the bowl full first, then gently pushing down that first pinch. A second one after should get you to 1/2 a bowl. I don't pack this tight at all, generally, as loose as can be while still being pushed down to make room. I grab another punch then, and pack light, before pressing hard with my tamp and even giving a twist at the top. Should feel spongy, but not move. I let it sit afterwards for a minimum of thirty minutes, and it seems to do the trick!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Sounds like the tried-and-true, "Three-Step Method". At least that's your excellent description is EXACTLY how I do my Three-Step Method, except for the sitting 30 minutes part. That's intriguing... What's the reasoning behind it?
-Jason

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
I just happen to kinda prep it before I go on breaks etc from work to save time and noticed that it works better than just pack-n-go. Noticed it and tested it a bit with the time thing, after noticing how well it worked with about 30 min of sit.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I'd venture to guess that 30 minutes extra drying time help making it more prone to burn

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Yes justinm91, I believe you've perfected your version of the most traditional method of packing, and the way I do most often. I don't screw around with a lot of other methods like the Frank method.
I'm guessing the 30 minutes dries the top out nicely which helps you get a nice ember started on top.
I gave up long ago on chasing a packing that results in no relights. I prefer pursuing a packing that results in great flavor and a good burn temp- if it stays perfectly lit than hooray (which has happened once, maybe twice).
I was really concerned with relights when I started, took the joy out of it. When I stopped caring- I enjoyed it more. Now, a bowl that needs lighting every 2 seconds is very annoying. I'd say I average 4-5 relights in a large bowl that gets smoked over an hour +.

Mar 1, 2014
As long as I get a good ember going in the middle of my bowl I generally don't have to re-light (regardless of the pack).

Of course, sometimes you're best off re-lighting several times through the bowl because you're not doing much smoking if it's burning so well that you can't puff on it at all without overheating.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I sometimes pack the pipe and let is set for half an hour so, just to dry it out a bit. Faster is putting the tobacco on a plate for 15 minutes. Advantage of packing pipe is you don't have to guess the quantity needed to pack the pipe.
Pax

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think, too, that allowing the packed bowl to 'rest' for awhile, allows the tobacco to spring back just a little thereby opening the draw. It's not something I do a lot, but sometimes you sense that it will be beneficial.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
The only time I worry about relights is if I actually have the time ( 45 minutes to an hour ) to sit there and nurse a bowl from beginning to end.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Sometimes I need a relight or two (*cough cough* Old Dark Fired), but sometimes I do not.
I still don't know what leads to a relight-less smoke- but I can usually tell right away if it will be one.
Disclaimer: If I smoke through 3/4 of a bowl, and am satiated by that point, and my pipe starts going out, I'm done. I find the first few puffs of a pipe that has gone out, and been re-lit, to be rather off-putting.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've had to dry a number of tobaccos for almost 24 hours, but the humidity in the house was around 50%. If it were a lot drier, a half hour might do it. I believe relighting excessively has more to do with moisture level than packing, but I've been wrong a couple of times in my life before.....

Status
Not open for further replies.