PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've been looking for a smaller freehand pipe for a while, as I don't have any. Mainly this is because they don't appeal to me all that much, are quite expensive for my budget, and are usually a larger pipe than I like. But, what with being afflicted with PAD I kept looking for one anyway. I saw this one on eBay and it looked small enough, and was priced quite cheap (19.95). However, it had no makers mark, and is only stamped Hand Made In Denmark. I got to thinking about that stamping and where I had seen it before. Yep, Ben Wade pipes made in Denmark by Preben Holm, have the same stamp on them. So I now have the volcano? shaped pipe and the bowl doesn't look too bad, but the stem is heavily oxidized. No other markings on the pipe, but is it a Ben Wade pipe or not? I can't find any other Danish pipe maker that uses that stamp. What do you think?
img_02361-600x326.jpg

img_02381-600x308.jpg

img_0253-600x436.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
A lot of Danish pipes have that style, if it smokes good then be happy. If it doesn't have an actual stamp there's no way to know really.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I fairly convinced that you're right: a Ben Wade Preben Holm.

But if so, keep in mind that Preben Holm didn't want his name attached to it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Ben Wade had lines for their seconds, like Danish Pride and a few others. I think you have a Danish freehand pipe. If you google Danish freehand pipe you'll see several names come up that all could fit that genre

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Orley, I have a Knute Danish Design freehand stamped in the same way that I suspect to be a Karl Erik. It was among my dad's collection of pipes & probably from the 1970's. The stem is acrylic however.

Status
Not open for further replies.