PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, I admit I was at the pipe show, with a dental problem distracting me, such that I had to cut short my browsing, and curtail my spending in favor of dentistry. But on my way past the accessory table, I grabbed two packages for five bucks of pipe cleaners. Later I tumbled to the fact that these were tapered. Not only that, but the thin end seems to be slightly bent or burred, such that it does not feed easily into many bits that usually take pipe cleaners easily. I may just leave these with my local pipe shop for the smoking table in case anyone can use them, at the same time I go to buy some regular, non-tapered pipe cleaners. Just a heads up to notice this in selecting pipe cleaners and perhaps avoid the tapered ones. Does anyone use these with satisfaction? Maybe this is a bad lot. When I started with them, they worked, somewhat, but as times goes on, I've run into trouble with more different pipes. Don't want to be scratching up the airways or irritating myself after nice relaxing smokes. (Just to clarify, tapered pipe cleaners have one end that is thin and then gradually increases in fluffiness to the other end.)

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Don't particularly like tapered myself. I have over 500 cleaners I bought in bulk from Amazon and I've tried most brands, fluffy style, normal and bristle. Still, after all these years, I could be happy with good old Dill's.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
I use the BJ Long tapered cleaners pretty regularly, never had any issues.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I use both (BJ) all depending upon the pipe I'm cleaning and never had any issues with either.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The tapered bristle cleaners do make cleaning the shank airway much easier, but I would agree that for the stem, and regular use, not so easy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had no luck with them, and use BJ Long bristle cleaners exclusively now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, maybe I'll keep them for cleaning out the shank. Good point. Thanks, dmc'. Hadn't thought of that detail. I'll get my money's worth yet.

I used to use them exclusively, but lately, I have been using the big fat fluffy ones. Most of my pipes seem to have wide open drafts, so the fluffy ones are the only ones that tend to actually clean the draft. But, if the big fat fluffies aren't available at the B&M, I'll grab a few bags of tapered.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I've used them in the past with good results and usually always have them on hand but my pipe cleaner of choice is the standard Brigham and bristled Brigham. I did have a package of BJ Long pipe cleaners once that had one end of each cleaner slightly bent over and it did make inserting them a bit of a PITA. :puffy:

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I use BJ Long cleaners also. As jkrub mentioned the one end is slightly bent and I don't like the scraping that they cause in the stem. I just use the other end for the stem and use the bent end as a loop for wiping out the bowl after I dump it. At .80 cents a bundle locally, they are my go to cleaners.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like the Bryn Mawr Reem n' Kleen bristlies you can buy at Walgreens. For shanks with a wide-open draft, I just bend them into a sguiggly pattern to be able to contact the entire shank diameter. BTW, I just set a personal record for number of words my computer has underlined in red in the erroneous assumption that I am completely illiterate. In a damning example of what our society has degenerated into, "BTW" was not one of the "words" that was underlined in red!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You could have avoided that trip to the dentist!The tapered, bristle pipe cleaners are also good for getting out the bits of food stuck between your teeth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
woods', yes, home dentistry, always a good idea! My problem was bits of teeth cracking off into my mouth. To his credit, my DDS was kind enough to come in on a Saturday to patch it up until I could come back for a crown. This happened on both sides to the same upper molars. There went my pipe show money.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
BTDT, and without the benefit of a cute hygienist. If they are going to bend you over, they could at least offer up a reach around.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I use BJ Long, tapered and regular.Regular is for when I want to pass a cleaner when smoking; tapered is for when I am cleaning the pipe later.

Status
Not open for further replies.