No More Saddle Bits on Dunhill Bamboo PIpes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Has anyone else noticed this? Everywhere I see new Dunhill bamboo shank pipes listed for sale, they have tapered bits rather than saddle bits. For almost two years I've been shopping for a Group 3 saddle-bit bamboo-shank billiard (the famous "Whangee"), but all I see on new models is the tapered bit. Even 7-day sets of bamboo shank Dunhills have the tapered bit.
http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/l/Dunhill
Here's the one I nearly bought two years ago, but it sold just before I pulled the trigger:
u38oANG.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That's interesting, Pitch. I don't follow the bamboo-shanked Dunhills much, but that one above is a beauty..........

Are you looking for new or estate?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
beefeater, I was looking for new, especially as they're only about 260 Euros on Al Pascia for the Shell.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
There are a couple of Group 4 or 5's out there, but nothing smaller, at least with the saddle.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Honestly you can get a better pipe for that price from a couple of American artists, and made just how you want it. I mean, a Dunhill is a Dunhill and nothing else is.... but that much sanding into the bamboo where it meets the shank, plus sanding down the knuckles there, plus the cracks in the bamboo, PLUS getting red stain into those cracks so they stick out like a sore thumb, and the blocky button, and the bowl size to shank proportions being a bit off. It's all subpar to what is coming out of most artisan shops, and some of those guys are in or awful close to that kind of price range. IMHO, YMMV

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can stomach Dunhill prices, I'd contact Al Pascia, Iwan Ries, and one or two other heavy Dunhill retailers and ask them if they have them, or will watch for them for you. These nuances in shape, materials and design fluctuate and seem to go in and out of circulation, but always seem to return. Just be specific on what finish, size, and shape you want, etc. I bet the saddle stem on a bamboo shank is out there now, or on its way back.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Michael Mirza,
:clap:
Ryan,
I know, I know. But it's a Dunhill. Whangees are ugly, but I like that particular kind of ugly for some reason. It's like that actress from Dirty Dancing, Jennifer Grey -- after she got a nose job she wasn't nearly as attractive as she used to be (IMHO). There's just something I like about those ugly bamboo Dunhills. That said, if I ever decide to go in the other direction, I know where to look. Your pipes are the best smokers by far in my stable. That's not flattery, just a fact.
MSO,
I've thought of doing that, but the hunt is half the fun. Plus, it gets me off the hook for blowing all that dough on a new pipe. For now. :D

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Also contact Cup O Joes. They seem to always have a huge selection of Dunhills. Al Pascia without a doubt has the least expensive Dunhills I can find. Not sure why they are much cheaper in Europe than over here.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I say Italians because, the last Dunhill I inspected smelt faintly of Olive Oil and Oregano...

Also heard a few rumors by those more educated on the subject than myself :D

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Honestly you can get a better pipe for that price from a couple of American artists, and made just how you want it. I mean, a Dunhill is a Dunhill and nothing else is.... but that much sanding into the bamboo where it meets the shank, plus sanding down the knuckles there, plus the cracks in the bamboo, PLUS getting red stain into those cracks so they stick out like a sore thumb, and the blocky button, and the bowl size to shank proportions being a bit off. It's all subpar to what is coming out of most artisan shops, and some of those guys are in or awful close to that kind of price range. IMHO, YMMV
I agree with Lonestar with one exception: It's sub-par compared with what's coming out of the BETTER artisan shops, not "most" of them. There's certainly no shortage of clunkers among today's "artisan" makers.
Something also worth noting is that the Laws of Physics punish weakness in pipe construction and technique with extra vigor whenever bamboo enters the picture. This sort of thing:
hfXGbl.jpg

...is distressingly common. It isn't unknown among highly regarded makers who have been making pipes a long time, in fact.
Dunhill learned their lesson a half century ago and decided on the nuclear option instead of fighting a never ending return-for-repairs battle. See the little silver dot in the shank near the bamboo? That's a staked stainless steel pin. (There's one on the other side, too) Result? Their bamboo joints never fail.
Also, to be fair, that particular specimen isn't typical of the brand. How it passed QA is anyone's guess. If you like bamboo pipes and want a Dunnie, look around. There are many good ones in the world, and they show up as estates semi-regularly.
Or, just save the hassle and hire Ryan to make you one. :lol: He was all over the pipemakers forums in his early days, sponged up info as fast as the Old Hands supplied it, and then actually APPLIED what they said. He's not out to re-invent pipes, he only wants to make really good ones. (And he's gettin' it done right respectable for a whippersnapper. :wink: )

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I am always afraid of seeming like a shill...but I have two of Ryan's pipes and the smoke as good as anything I have ever owned and better than most.
I now return the thread to it's original programing.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
There's certainly no shortage of clunkers among today's "artisan" makers.
True ! But I could point out more than one guy who makes a better pipe for similar money.

That is not saying anything about the best Dunhills, but they aren't all the best for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.