No More Pipes For The Rest Of Your Life!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I had a random thought as I was explaining to my wife why I needed another pipe, my collection is around 60 (give or take). How many pipes could get you through the rest of your life, if you could never buy another? Taking into consideration of breaking and rotation. It seems that if taken care of, a pipe will last a long time. I have seen some still going strong from the 20's, although my oldest is an estate from the 60's. But I personally have have one burn right through on the first smoke (there was a hidden flaw in the wood that was no way the makers fault). So I thought it would be intresting to see what others thought. For me, I think I could get by on 15.

Jan 8, 2013
At least 100 :lol: Kidding... There are 7 pipes in my rotation right now so I definitely would like to add more before I even considered never buying a pipe again.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Now I've got about 15 and 7 are in rotation, I would feel comfortable stopping around 25 (gives me more time to get some real high quality pipes).

~Ron

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
If you don't dedicate your pipes, puff 3 bowls a day and rest each pipe 1 week, 3x7 = 21. If you dedicate some pipes to VAs, then you may need more to maintain flexibility in choosing blends.
hp

les

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I currently have 20 (which includes 2 MM cobs and a churchwarden)but I would like to improve the quality of my pipes. I think if I had 21 quality pipes (and I still want 2 cobs in the rotation) I think I would be content.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I just keep rotating out some cheaper pipes as I restore estates and If it's not to my fancy the sale of said pipe goes towards the purchase of a pipe that really strikes me. Or maybe that ever elusive birth year Dunhill.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My pipe rack has room for 11. It is full, so if I make / buy a new one, I have to get rid of one of them. About four of them are asking to be replaced. When is the next pipe show? My smoking rate is much less than most on this site.
Winton

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I had to go count my pipes for this one..It turns out that I have 17 minus 2 that don't smoke that well so i don't include them.That leaves 15 which is about right.I can't say though that I won't ever buy another pipe.I probably will.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
My racks hold exactly 60. So that's the number I've hovered about for the past number of years. The occasional purge will make room for new pipes, should any in my stable dissapoint. But that's a very very rare ocassion. As I'm generally quite pleased with what I have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There seem to two questions here. How many do you need for the rest of your life. And how many

would make you content for the rest of your life. If I had to spare my forty-some pipes down to a

minimum, I'd feel like I could sustain on about two dozen. Fewer are possible, but I think some elbow

room for burn-outs and dropped pipes is required. How many to be content? Contentment is partly

being entertained by the collection, so I think that might be a few more than I have. I think fifty might

be fun, sixty is probably more than I would smoke and enjoy on a regular basis. I'm not into collecting

per se. Ownership by itself doesn't mean that much, not just having the pipes. But to be real about it,

old timers probably felt well provided with three or four pipes, and many got by with one one or two. Having

stuff, and often too much stuff, is a habit.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Interesting Q drwatson. I have 16 regulars in my rotation and it's enough. I wouldn't mind more of course, but 16 is enough to allow ample drying time. I do wish I had more spigots however.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I wrote 16 - duh! I actually have 24 in the rotation - getting old and senile I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.