PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I have been sitting on this news for some time now, but Les announced it on facebook publicly today. He and dolly are retiring and without him having found someone worthy he could train to pass the line to, it will end. Les and Dolly have been making pipes for 53 years starting at Dunhill till 1978 when they started their own company L.j.s.(Les John silverworks). They kept the tradition of hand made English pipes through today including oil curing. It is a sad day for the pipe community, but a happy day for both him and Dolly. I wish my friends well and hope to get back over to England to spend a few days with them while they are still around. So if you want one now is the time to go out and find them while you still can.
Here is my small collection. Wish I had more time and didn't sell the ones he made me over the years.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Those bent bulldogs are all exquisite. I have been watching for a nice Ferndown in that shape for a while. Looks like I may never get one. :(

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
They just sent an order of 60 pipes to the US distributor. He is getting me pics, but not sure where they will go.
And just to think. I had one for sale not long ago and it never sold. Sent it to a friend. Top left.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Great pictures, but sad news. Well... sad in some ways and happy in other ways I suppose? The man gets to step back, but his pipes will be missed. The man's silver work is some of the best.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one Ferndown which was given to me by a Forums member, most generously. Thank you again for that. It is one of my prized pipes. Light weight, beautifully crafted, and a great smoker.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks for letting me know that tarheel1. I was only thinking of them on Monday. I have not seen them for nearly thirty years and if you are in contact with them please send them my very warmest wishes, that is if they remember me!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Since his vendors haven't said a word about this I wonder if there is a rather large back log of available stock.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Ken. I just mentioned you to Les and forwarded your wishes. We have talked about Barry in the past, so I am sure he remembers you.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Since his vendors haven't said a word about this I wonder if there is a rather large back log of available stock.
He deals with one distributor in the US, one in Canada, one shop in the UK, one distributor in Italy, Germany, and Japan. He still loves making pipes and will still make them when he feels like it and will send to Maxim and James Barber. Here was his announcement.

"Last week Dolly and I attended the Funeral of one of out friends in the pipe trade, Today we heard that another of our great friends had past away in his sleep, we have known them for over 30 years. We made the decision that it was time to retire,After 53 years in the trade, and with that news of the loss of out friend, it is time to shut down and see our lovely country, rather than the four walls of our workshop.
RIP my friends

Dolly and Les"

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Wow. I've been pondering a Ferndown for a while and was considering starting a post to gain insights from folks here before ordering. Not anymore, I placed my order 5 minutes ago and am very glad I saw this post.
Great set of pipes tarheal, very impressive.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Hey Ken pm sent. Les would like to get in touch. "Hi were is Ken now it has been 30 yeras or so give him my regards"

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Wow. I've been pondering a Ferndown for a while and was considering starting a post to gain insights from folks here before ordering. Not anymore, I placed my order 5 minutes ago and am very glad I saw this post.
Great set of pipes tarheal, very impressive.
What did you order?

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I ordered a poker from Maxim, but then got an email it was sold. I now have a 5 panel billiard on the way. Can't grab a photo on my iPad, but will try later. It is truly one of the best looking billiards I've seen. I'm still on the hunt for a smooth bulldog similar to yours, but I'm a very happy piper right now. The 5 panel can still be seen on the briary website.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Well here are some of the ones that were sent to the us distributor. If you contact them you might be able to squire some of them or contact the shops they are destined to.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Thanks Nate, I'm really interested in seeing it when it arrives. The pictures are amazing online.

Status
Not open for further replies.