PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have decided that I will never buy a pipe with a vulcanite, ebonite, or cumberland stem again. I've had one too many of my pipes with the aforementioned stem materials start to taste like burning rubber from oxidization after just a few smokes. Even after I do the recommended soak and scrub measures, the taste returns surely. It's just not worth the hassle for me, so from here on if the stem isn't acrylic or horn, I'll pass. I'm not a clencher, so the hardness of the latter materials doesn't bother me. Plus, anything that can help narrow down which pipes I should buy or not is a good thing! I might even look into replacing the vulcanite stems that are still in my inventory, through my local pipe repair guy. Anybody else taken a similar stance?

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I hear you, sir! I've debated forgoing vulcanite in the future, but then I remember that some of my favorite brands, such as Peterson's Mark Twain collection, only come in the aforementioned material.
Eh, whatcha gonna do? Yes, I prefer acrylic, and seek it out more often than not, but I can't bring myself to boycott rubber all together... yet.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
It must be a body chemistry thing. To rule that out, what method are you using to clean your stems? And are they completely black? Lay out your steps and let's see if there's anything we can do to help.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Code, I use a few pipe cleaners after every smoke, and also wipe moisturize away throughout each smoke. As needed I scrub my stems down with a tube of Brebbia stem cleaner, and if it's really bad I'll use OxiClean. But that's all besides the point. Even if there is something else I could be doing to clean my stems better, I shouldn't have to in the first place. If different, lower-maintenance stem options weren't available, I'd change my attitude accordingly. But thankfully I'm not forced into such a predicament!

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
Since 6 months I rub my stems with chapstick after each smoke after a post on this forums. A Small effort after each smoke with remarkable results

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I put a drop of Obsidian oil on mine, and after nearly 30 years, the oldest pipes in my collection that were purchased new, have never shown or tasted of oxidation. I do prefer ebonite/vulcanite over other materials.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I get that one would like to cut down on the amount of pipe maintenance; however, I do have to say that the chapstick trick has done wonders for the few pipes I own that have a rubber stem.
Also, the internet has ruined me because the above posts that mention rubbing down a stem and rubber takes my brain to a very unpipe place. 8O

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I've only had this problem once and it was down to the poor quality of a preformed stem. I returned the pipe and had SPC check several of the other pipes from the same maker, all of which wreaked of burning rubber. I've sworn off preformed vulcanite stems (though I will say my Pete never had this problem).
I haven't found this to be an issue at all on higher grade vulcanite rod stock. All I do is apply lip balm before a smoke and I'm good to go. I do gently wipe down a stem with a fleece cloth after smoking. If I'm smoking outside in daylight, I'll try to apply a little lip balm directly to the stem and gently rub it in, ala sunscreen.
There was a time not too long ago I was pretty agnostic toward stem material, but I find I prefer vulcanite by a good measure now. That said, I think Cavicchi makes the most comfortable acrylic stems and seems to use a really good quality stock as there is a little give to them.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Unless the OP is smoking vulcanite, I'm not sure I'm able to connect the dots to "body chemistry". Anyone have an insight? Vulcanite seems to contain somewhere from 25-80% sulphur and linseed in addition to rubber.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I guess the way it could be a body chemistry thing is that different people have different levels of acidity in their saliva. Maybe I've got a really acidic mouth. :twisted:

Yeh, my vulcanite and Cumberland stay very nice. My teeth are just too sensitive for acrylic though. Sometimes the actual part that makes contact with my lips looses its polish, but I just rub them down after each smoke. I'm sort of a nerd that way. I wash my bike after each ride, clean my plate after dinner, clean my blade after whittling, wipe my pipe down after smoking... but to each their own.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don't think all vulcanite is created equal. I've only had two pipes that tasted like a "tire fire". One was an old french pipe from around WW1 and the other was a modern Millville. Neither pipe would succumb to taming.
I much prefer vulcanite, but I also enjoy older pipes that have amber and it's early alternatives.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
All the cleaning and rubbing is useless if you don´t seal the surface of the vulcanite afterwrds. The material has an "open" surface (thats why the sulphur comes out) and you need to seal it by applying some carnauba wax for instance. The wax has no taste whatsoever and keeps the rubber from oyidizing again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have decades-old vulcanite pipe stems with no flavor problem. I've never even tasted a hint of it. Interesting. I do like acrylic for upkeep, but I don't reject vulcanite.

Status
Not open for further replies.