PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I've mentioned before that I got lucky and married the woman who allows me to smoke anything, except Carter Hall, in the house. However, since she found out we were expecting our second child in November, everything "stunk". I was anticipating this, as it happened with our first born, and I was prepared this time, so I thought. Most of my recent purchases had at least 1 oz of an aromatic of sorts thrown in. I'm usually an English guy, and really taken a liking to some Virginias recently, but I figured there has to be something that she will let me get away with. After having her turn her nose up, or better yet, hold it closed, I have been banished to the garage. As I was out tinkering with a replacement stem that I bought for a for corn cob last year that I never got around to making look presentable, I enjoyed some Captain Black my younger brother have to me as a Christmas present. When I walked in, she said that I smelled.... Good. Her exact description was cake. So I packed another and joined her in the living room for an episode of Peaky Blinders. Looks like I'm out of the garage, for now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If she likes that, try some of Lane Limited's 1-Q. Think Captain Black only better. :wink:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Give some Mac Baren Cube Silver a try. The stuff is as tasty and smells delicious.
I never had a chance to be banished. You are a lucky man!
I will never be permitted to smoke indoors, that's a simple fact.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I second the Cube Silver; one of my all-time favorite tobaccos. Creamy, reminds me a bit of Shortcut to Mushrooms.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I have been meaning to get some lane 1-Q, but I just keep forgetting somehow. As for the silver cube, I can probably talk her into letting me make another order, as long as I'm "doing it for her." I know my local b&m sells the lane but I've only seen the bronze cube. Not to mention the cube was 30$. I am a very lucky man. I bought my first pipe the weekend I asked her to marry me and she's only complained a couple of times since. I never knew it to be abnormal until I started looking around on here. She has been known to even let the occasional cigar slip by, but I've all but stopped smoking them anywhere.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Oh, the bliss of love!
Keep the love alive, and show us it can be done.
Oh yeah, Cube is worth the money, and I'd certainly give the Bronze a try.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
Thank you. I'm dumbfounded that I didn't think to check there. I just immediately went for P&C and saw they were back ordered on it. Thanks for the tip.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Very welcome, also! Compulsive PAD, and TAD makes me constantly looking at several sites at once. :oops:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
WL, roll with it. This might the third best thing that happened to you, after your marriage, then your kids.
I recommend that you lay down some indoor/outdor carpeting in the garage, insulate and panel the walls, add a fridge large enough for a keg and tap, a little wet bar, a couple of easy chairs and a leather couch, and hang a 70" Sharp Ultra TV on the wall with some surround sound speakers. Add a poker table if you have the room.
My wife banished me to our back porch. I tiled the floor, closed it in, paneled it, wrapped windows around it, so that the upper half is an insulated glass wall, put in an 8' long table with chairs, lazy boy couch,installed a 70" HD TV with surround, and haven't been back in the house since.
I host a monthly mens smoker, we drink single malts, share cigars, watch/listen to videos of old blues and motown concerts, and talk religion, philosopy, music, sports - lively but civil conversation.
Getting banished was one of the best quality-of-life changes in my adult years.
BTW, if any of you reading this are in the Washington, DC area, and would like to join us in one of our smokers, pm me. The next one is scheduled for February 6. Recurring guests include a Dominican friar, a married Catholic priest (Anglican convert. Married priest are canonically legal in rare circumstances), an editor from the Daily Caller, a butler, an Iraqi vet, a rescue scuba diver, a property manager, a dj and hair product salesment, a plumber, journalists, poets, philosophers, high school drop-outs and Ph.d.s
Pipe and cigar smokers are a diverse crowd. :puffy:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I enjoy the diversity and hope some of you can add to it.
I think one of the main attractions is that it gives guys a chance to be together and let their hair down as guys. The golf clubs and even my fly fishing/hunting clubs now have women members. Now I love women, but their presence changes the whole tone of everything as well as the group dynamics.
We used to permit women but no sooner than they started participating, they began complaining about the smoke or suggesting different music, etc . I kid you not. One of our guests was a female rocket engineer from NASA. She is invited to a smoker. What were her very first words? "I don't like smoke", she whined. I kid you not.
So, it is now an unapologetic MEN's smoker, though diverse in most other ways and the diversity is illuminating. (We still very occasionally welcome ladies, as long as my wife is willing to host them in the house)
You know, there is nothing more boring than talking to someone who agrees with everything you say. It is like talking to a mirror. It is one thing for white republicans to discuss Fergusson with each other. It is quite another to to have that same discussion with a black friend or two in the group.I guarantee, you will away thinking just a little bit differently.
Any, as I said, if any of you are in the area, or coming to the DC area, and would like to join us, please PM me. Heck, we'll even schedule one around your travel plans, if need be.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Captain Black is buying a bag of Twinkies. You know its bad in a good kind of way, but man some cravings can only be satisfied by Twinkies, or Captain Black! I mix mine with a high nicotine burley to give it some strength. BTW, Lane'e RLP-6 is rumored to be the same blend, but I find the 2 somewhat different.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
wlrountree, congrats on the 2nd child!
You are a lucky man. I envy those that can smoke indoors.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
Well, I would be lying if I said that I started this thread expecting this kind of feed back. Brass, that's awesome. That's almost tempting enough to make the run up I-95 to hang out. I'm sure I could add to the mix being a wild a$$ redneck that hunts and fishes just about anything, yet is still refined enough to know how to fold a pocket square. You wouldn't believe the number of men that cannot do that, or don't know they should only button the top button on a two button sportcoat. As I said, I always knew I was blessed to have married a woman that not only accepts me, but drives me to be a better man. I just didn't know how lucky I was to have married one that enjoys my pipe smoke. On a side note, took a pinch of some MacBaren 7 Seas that I really don't care for and added a pinch of some Hearth&Home Berry Nice, and I think I'm on to something. Berries and cream maybe. It smoked good, just need to work on my ratios to get the right amount of vanilla and berries

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
wlrountree, redneck you say? Where you from? Purebread Kentucky/Shawnee/mountain folk redneck here.

Status
Not open for further replies.