PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I have no desire to discuss politics and which side is right or wrong but as a casual observer of word events, a pipe smoker, and an idle muser, I wonder what the impact of a "no deal" Brexit would have on our community both in the US and the UK. The current US administration has stated that they want to see a free trade deal between the two countries.

What will that mean for us?

Will we be able to order directly from web sites in both countries?

Will this make some blends that are difficult to obtain in one country but not the other more accessible?

If there are people with thoughts on this, I would love to hear them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've followed the news stories but don't know the details. The current atmosphere of everything surrounding Brexit seems uncertain, deal or no deal. My untutored hunch would be that things would rock along as they are at present for several months while larger issues with EU countries are getting attention and causing some upheaval. How things would settle out over the next year or two could go in many directions. About this, I genuinely believe no one knows, not even the veterans in governments and international trade. In projecting forward, they are probably about as predictive as I am.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It's tobacco, so I wager the rules would be different for it even with free trade. Isn't there a restriction already forbidding UK tobacconists to send tobacco to US addresses?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The restriction in shipping tobacco from UK to the USA is imposed, I believe, by credit card company (or -ies). I wouldn't assume anything favorable will come out of this for us. In any case it's all smoke and mirrors until it's on paper. And we are only even speculating what "it" actually is.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
The UK is currently in a free trade arrangement with the rest of the EU but yet it's still illegal to buy tobacco and alcohol products from another EU country and have them posted to a UK address.
I'd wager free trade deal with the US or not the government will want to keep it's share of tobacco duty so IMO nothing will change.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I believe that is an EU rule.
Nope.
The restriction in shipping tobacco from UK to the USA is imposed, I believe, by credit card company (or -ies). I wouldn't assume anything favorable will come out of this for us. In any case it's all smoke and mirrors until it's on paper. And we are only even speculating what "it" actually is.
Spot on. For a while you could still order from the UK if the transaction did not involve a credit card. That's no longer true. What set the card restriction in motion were changes to the international credit agreements that were complicated by the various tobacco related restrictions imposed by different countries. It was just simpler to drop international transactions of restricted items like tobacco sales through the use of credit cards.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
But will the UK tobacco retailers still accept International Money Orders?
Do International Money Orders still exists?

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Darn. I was fantasizing about filling an empty swimming pool with Ennerdale Flake and covering it with plastic wrap.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Yeah, I would guess it's doubtful. Consider the NAFTA agreement between the U.S, Canada and Mexico. Imported tobaccos are extremely expensive in Canada and Mexico, even if they're from the U.S., and duties are applied. Likewise, prescription drugs are more expensive in the U.S., but there are restrictions preventing Americans from importing those drugs from Canada and Mexico at lower cost.
I have opinions, but those are for other sites. I appreciate the politics free rule.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@PappyMac, after having received responses from major Uk tobacconists to my queries on this matter I can say no,they do not accept the international transaction any more except for one or two existing tobacconists of which coordinates I may Pm You if You are interested.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I know a lot of the UK Tobacconists won't alow you to use PayPal anymore although I think GQ Tobaccos let me the last time I ordered.
They did for a while, according to a friend who was intent on amassing a lifetime supply of RDF, but then stopped after they learned that retail sales of tobacco to the US and the EU were prohibited, period. How long ago did you last use PayPal with them for a tobacco purchase?

piperRowan

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
the price of pipe tobacco in the UK is much higher than in the US. For some impressive tobacco in the US, I can't even find them in the UK such as nightcap or orlik. So if a free trade deal settled between us, I expect the price of tobacco in UK may decrease for a little bit??

Jun 9, 2018
England
Sable I just checked my PayPal account and I ordered 4 tins of tobacco from GQ Tobaccos on 27th June, it comes up as Pipe Rack Ltd but it was definitely GQ as the invoice says 'your order from GQ Tobaccos' and I know I used them as they were the only ones who had all 4 of the blends I wanted in stock. Hope this helps.
Chris

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable I just checked my PayPal account and I ordered 4 tins of tobacco from GQ Tobaccos on 27th June, it comes up as Pipe Rack Ltd but it was definitely GQ as the invoice says 'your order from GQ Tobaccos' and I know I used them as they were the only ones who had all 4 of the blends I wanted in stock. Hope this helps
And your shipment arrived as ordered? That is interesting. A couple of years back, after GQ changed hands, a fellow I know, who was a customer was told by the new owners that they could no longer sell to the US.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Sable, Yes it was 5 tins not 4 as I said in my earlier post, a tin each of Charatan Royal Escape, Dunhill Ye Olde Signe, Solani 633, Samuel Gawith Irish Spring Flake and St. James Plug and arrived the next day.

I know I did an order with them late last year and that was tobacco and paid with PayPal as well.

Anything for my long term cellaring I get my mum to order and keep at her house and she likes to use PayPal whenever possible, I was sure none of the UK tobacconists took PayPal as I was under the impression they didn't allow it for tobacco products so I told her she'd have to use a credit card, yet when she got to the checkout and said PayPal was an option I said give it a try but I didn't think it would go through but it did with no problems and arrived 2 days later all ship shape and bristol fashion.

Anyway there you have it, maybe they don't allow PayPal purchases from overseas?
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.