PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I went to a bar in town a few weeks ago that I haven't been to in a long time. I talked with the new owner, who is a guy I know from school. As I was sitting there enjoying a cold beer, I noticed a sign that read "No Cigars or Pipes". I asked what the sign was for and he said there have been people coming in smoking cigars that customers where complaining about. He added, "There is this one guy that comes in and smokes a pipe and it smells really good so we let him smoke". Ahhh, That's what I was looking for.
So, last week I went back to the bar and an older gent comes in and sat down beside me. He ordered a beer and started loading his pipe. I asked what he was smoking. I don't remember the name of it now. We had a pretty good conversation. I went to the truck and brought back some Blue Note for him to try and he mentioned that he liked my tobacco pouch. It's a plaid roll up pouch with a velcro seal. I ended up giving him the pouch too. Those kinds of meetings don't happen to often.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
That's pretty cool mp31. I don't go to bars very often but I sure remember the cigarette haze and how the clothes would still reek in the morning. Almost strange to go back to those same places on a crowded night and find no smoke in the air.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I remember back when you could smoke in bars. One day I went into my friend's trendy martini bar back when those things were popping up everywhere in the city and sat down to enjoy a classic gin martini. I fired up my pipe and the white belted thick black glasses clad uber hipster bartender comes over immediately to inform me that they have a policy against pipes and cigars. I said to him, so let me get this straight, you are fine with the haze of stinky ass cigarette smoke that will cause everyone who leaves here to have to wash their clothes but my pipe loaded with pleasant smelling high quality tobacco is offensive? He looked at me and gave a dead panned yes. I said thanks bud, no worries, you will never see me again and I left. My friend was mortified and apologized but I never did go back into her bar again.

Jul 15, 2011
At the little dive bar here in town, there's an older gent who used to be superintendent of the school district that can be found up there almost every night. Cigarettes aren't allowed in the bar but he almost always has a cigar in his teeth and no one seems to mind. There was one night that I was sitting out on the front stoop with my pipe, as I often do now that the weather is warmer. Some of the late nighters at the bar happened to be passing by as I was smoking some Molto Dulce. The old guy with the cigar walked past me, smelled the aroma of the tobacco, looked over at me and said, "Hey! That stuff smells great! You should come join us for a drink up at the bar sometime." I havent taken him up on his offer yet but I might one of these days.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Never smoked my pipe at a bar. I don't even know if it is allowed in Tennessee. It was really kind of you give tobacco and a pouch to the gentleman. You never know a person's situation and I am sure you made his day. I think the only thing I ever receive at a bar is a free shot or two from the ladies.
No complaints!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Every once in awhile, I end up at Stroker's Ice House here in Dallas and there is plenty of room to sit and drink outside, so I always bring my pipe and a nice aro. Lots of thumbs up and no complaints yet!

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Here in Hermann Mo. You can smoke in almost all of the Taverns and bars.

The Barrel bar is the oldest continually operating bar west of the Mississippi river.

502776-2.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have some old signs in the basement by the pool table that say "Absolutely No Wagering" and "No Foul Language". We ignore both of those too.... (copies of the ones in "The Hustler")

Status
Not open for further replies.