PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
(CNN) -- Is it an extreme case of helicopter parenting or a smart move to keep kids safe?
That's what parents are asking after hearing about a Long Island middle school's decision to ban most balls during recess and also require supervision of tag, even cartwheels, due to safety concerns.
No longer allowed at the Weber Middle School in Port Washington, New York: footballs, baseballs, soccer balls, lacrosse balls and any other hardballs that could injure a child. Also off limits: rough games of tag and cartwheels unless an adult supervisor is on hand.
"We want to make sure our children have fun but are also protected," Dr. Kathleen Maloney, superintendent of Port Washington Schools, said in a local television interview, noting how playground injuries can "unintentionally" become very serious.
Whatever happened to 'go outside and play?'
The school district, in a press release, said that due to construction going on at the school, there is "limited space" for the children to play during their 20-minute recess period. "With children in close proximity to each other, it is not safe for them to be engaged in unstructured play with hardballs," said the district.
Soft nerf balls will be provided during recess, and kids can play with hardballs during gym and intramural athletics.
Not suprisingly, when we asked what people thought about this school's policy on CNN's Facebook page, we got a ton of comments, the majority outraged by the school's decision.
"There are rational precautions (helmets for bikers) and then there is ridiculous. This is over the top," said Erika Hathaway Stockton on Facebook.
Stay in touch!

Don't miss out on the conversation we're having at CNN Living. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest stories and tell us what's influencing your life. Ways to help your children stay in the game injury-free
"This isn't smart. It's actually counter-productive," said Donna Daniels in an e-mail to CNN. "It saddens me to think that children no longer experience the joy of kickball, tag, dodgeball and simple outdoor games I remember so fondly when I reflect on my childhood. Our kids don't experience physical activity unless it involves downloading an app."
"Without opportunities to learn how to navigate space with their bodies, and to negotiate rules, risks, and experimentation of cooperative play, how are children going to ever be able to handle themselves in any society as adults?" said Alex Martin, an associate director at a Manhattan nursery school.
On the other side, there were some people who thought the school's actions were warranted.
"Freedom is great until the parents sue the school district," said Tyllor Parker on Facebook.
"I don't think kids should have their fun pasttimes discontinued, but head trauma can be serious," said Marilyn Decker on Facebook. "Helmets can lessen that. Even pro sports issues protection. Nothing wrong with that. They are now much more enlightened about wearing helmets while skateboarding and riding a bike, as well."

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
It sounds a bit radical at first but then goes on to explain the reasoning. I can see some logic in it. And it's not like they are taking away any balls... just making them softer until the construction is over. Though the cartwheel bit is a little out there.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
A different school banned any form of running... It's getting crazy these days. Our athlete teams will be the worst in the world if this keeps up.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It is a strange trend how people are becoming obsessed with "safety" these past few decades. Yes, kicking a ball around might one day injure someone. But so can a staircase - so lets make sure there are none of those as well. And what about buses? Someone might get injured in a crash - so lets stop those too. Oh, and let us not forget the dangers of scissors!
Maybe we should dress our kids in helmets and elbow and knee pads. Not just for playing, but all day long - including bed time (after all it's a dangerous world out there, someone might fall out of bed!).

chaplainmike

Lurker
Oct 7, 2013
Part of the reason for this nonsense is the sue happy nation we have become. School boards are afraid of anything that could get them sued. Unfotunately too the idea that my parents instilled in me "get out of the house and play" barely exists anymore. People are afraid of abductions, injury, and of course, being sued if Johnny or Janie messes up.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It does start out kind of wtf, but afterwards it makes a lot more sense. With construction going on it's probably for the better to tone down recess a bit there for everyone's safety.
I remember when I was little we had an adult supervising recess to settle disputes before they got out of hand or assist someone to the nurse for a scraped knee or help us cross the street to retrieve our kickball. Usually it was a parent of one of the kids attending the school. That was about 20yrs ago, so it's not something new.
I agree with part of the problem being so quick to sue.
null

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
When construction is over they should go back to "normal", but don't count on it.
No swingsets (someone might be kicked in the head - duh, watch where you're going) no sandboxes, you might get sand in your eyes - no common sense taught. Eventually we are headed to idiots, that are weaklings, running the country - wait! I think we already have a few of those doing just that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's always a balancing act. Parents have to "over-protect" their kids just to walk with them in the vicinity of

the street. It's sort of their role, teaching the concept of safety and caution. But sooner or later, you have

to let kids go, on errands, with fair warnings about traffic, molesters, etc. etc. Sooner or later, you let

them go camping, do canoe trips, hike where there are bears (maybe with bells as a little bit of jingly

helicoptering). Life without risk would be suffocating. You couldn't really drive, the least safe thing we do

on a daily basis. You'd have to be in before dark every night. It would be as nuts as most normal risks.

Not thinking Evil Kenevil (spelling) here. If the kids attending these "low risk" schools are lucky, their

parents will give them enough leash to assume the normal risks of living, and take them to the ER when

they sustain a gash or break a wrist, or whatever life brings. Our ancestors were eaten by bears and

large cats, but before that, they were parents to our next generation ancestors. So it goes.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Lol, love you mso, I've always been a high-risk personality, life without risk isn't worth much to me.
My signature has always been "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." - Mark Twain I just love it! I have actually "died" once already doing what I love most, glad it didn't happen, I didn't get to all the rivers I want to face.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Due to all the rules and regulations in our current society, the Future or our Countries, our Children, are growing up to be lazy, overweight, out of shape, Pussies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
+1 Nsfisher...

Sad to say I live on Long Island and judging by the area this happening I would vote for sue happy idiots.

What a shame.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Here is a no balls, I Don't fit in here. Get a couple cocktails, say or ask something, & get Nada.

Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.