PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I hope that this post will serve as somewhat of an inspiration for new pipers who are still struggling to experience true smoking enjoyment.
Now, I've been a pipe smoker for well over 50 years, and, sure, I've had plenty of enjoyable smokes, but this morning's experience was off the charts! I've read lots of posts about certain pipes doing especially well with certain tobaccos, but hadn't really experienced that until today. I filled my Rattray's Butcher's Boy (a squat author pipe that also comes with a longer stem) with some 4Noggins Button Bay, and, man, it was incredible, from first and only light to the bottom of the bowl. A solid hour of pure bliss!
So, I'll dedicate this pipe to this blend, which has long been one of my favourites anyway, and look forward to repeat performances. The moral is, new smokers, don't give up - eventually, you'll hit the perfect combination of conditions, pipe, and tobacco, and, it's worth the wait - even 50+ years. :puffy:

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I'm glad you shared this story. It is almost the exact opposite mind set of a junkie. Where junkie will "chase the dragon," trying to get that feeling they got in the beginning, but never get there. Here is a person, who has been smoking for 50+ years, can still look forward to a better and more enjoyable experience. What an inspiring tale! Thanks again!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good going, 4dot! Few get an optimum smoke every time, but you get a lot of mighty fine smokes while you're trying!

I suspect that rotating both pipes and tobaccos gives the best chance. Part of the top moment is the pipe/tobacco, and

the other part is your physical and mental harmony, in my opinion.

When I saw the title of the string, I was so tempted to ask if the pipe Smells Like Team Spirit, LOL.
But, I had a Nording that I had a similar experience with burning GLP's Ashbury. I was on a walk in the woods, and the smoke was divine, spiritual even. But, I have tried and tried, and could not slip back into that frame of mind with the same blend in that pipe. I even occasionally will pick it up and put it back into the rack because I don't want the disappointment. I wish you luck though. :puffy:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Great post, 4dot, thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. I've been smoking a pipe for 54 years, and I have new and wonderful experiences all the time. And the antis want us to quit! They have no idea what true pleasure can be. Thanks again.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Great observation. I've been smoking a pipe for only 41 years but my peak enjoyment of it really started after discovering this forum late last year. Not every smoke is a nirvana experience, but it doesn't always have to be. It usually comes after a long evening of work and with an adult beverage. I close the door to the "cave", sit down and take that first sip. Ahhhhhhhhh!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hobie:
4dot, everybody's favorite resident Buddhist monk, left us a few years when he rediscovered cigars. He kept a tin of E.G. Robinson but gave the rest of his tobacco away to some lucky stiff in the Seattle area.
I don't believe he's been back and that's a shame. I always enjoyed his perspective and observations.
Fnord

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hobie:
4dot, everybody's favorite resident Buddhist monk, left us a few years when he rediscovered cigars. He kept a tin of E.G. Robinson but gave the rest of his tobacco away to some lucky stiff in the Seattle area.
I don't believe he's been back and that's a shame. I always enjoyed his perspective and observations.
Fnord
He's baaaack!

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
hobie1dog, I'd have to say that my current favorite blend is Butera's Royal Vintage Latakia Number Two, followed closely by Button Bay. And there's just something about that Edward G. Robinson blend that I like -- can't put my finger on it, as I don't taste the plum and cognac flavors that others wax poetic about, but it's a nice change-up every so often.
And, sablebrush52, I donated most of my pipe tobacco to the Seattle Pipe Club. And now, I'm going to have to restock.

Status
Not open for further replies.