PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I love my Old Boy lighter, but sometimes it is too windy outside to use it. I am needing something I can use in wind and I was looking at the Nimrod Sportsman as well as the zippo with a pipe insert. What say you that has used both. How do they compare?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nimrod has the original patent on the "windproof" lighter like a zippo, and even though I have one of the nimrods shaped like a nut and bolt, I just prefer to use a bic outside because it doesn't impart an oily flavor the way fluid lighters can.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I have Nimrods, Beaty's and all kind of old lighters but if I am going outside I always use my trusty Bic.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I use a zippo or matches most of the time. I really like the pipe insert as it helps avoid rim charring and is easier to do one handed in the car. As for imparting odor, the new zippo fluid doesn't leave a taste. My only complaint is that it seems to evaporate faster. You can't go wrong with a zippo my friend.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
You can't beat the Zippo pipe lighter for outdoor use. If you let it burn for 2-3 seconds before lighting your bowl the excess fluid burns off and you won't have any fluid taste. Happy puffin',
Dave :puffy:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Idk what y'all are talking about Bics. The slightest breeze and those POSes are impossible to keep lit. Maybe for a cig they'd be tolerable but not for a pipe or cigar. Between Nimrod and Zippo, if you've got both it doesn't matter. If you're asking which one to buy then definitely Zippo. Nimrods haven't been made in years, they're overpriced collectibles. You can get a chrome Zippo with pipe insert for around 12 bucks, they are guaranteed fixed free for life. If a Nimrod craps out it's done.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I prefer nimrod (bolt style). It works great and just has a cool factor about it. I also like it because in my area they are uncommon amd a great conversation piece

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The Nimrod Bolt lighter is definitely a cool and fun lighter to use but doesn't have the fuel capacity as the Zippo. I bought an original NIB Nimrod off an eBay seller 11 years ago for less than $15. I thought it was a knockoff but it turned out to be the real deal, paperwork and all. I gave it to a pipe buddy who was always drooling over it. He probably still uses it.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I had a Nimrod years ago. Forgot about it until I was reading this thread. It was a great pipe lighter and I loved it. Darned if I know where it went. I see one in new condition listed on eBay for $55.

Status
Not open for further replies.