PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
A coworker recently gave me a number of pipe tobacco related things she found while cleaning her parents' old home. The most interesting is a vintage Nimrod Pipe Lighter. It's bone dry and the flints don't spark when flicking the wheel. I find the design to be intriguing but I already have a soft flame butane lighter zippo style with pipe insert. Is this thing worth restoring to use? Are they any more or less wind resistant with its unique design or is it about the same as a zippo? Thank you for sharing any experience you may have with these things.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Got any pics? There is a market for collectible lighters, so, restored or not, if you don't want it, someone else might. This LINK was valuable to me when I discovered a box full of old lighters in an auction I had won.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A friend of mine gave me one he'd had for over 40 years and hadn't used in at least half that time.

It took me awhile to get the old flint out so that I could clean out that tube to allow a new one to be pushed into the wheel when thumbed.

It's more of a collection piece for me. I didn't like the smell and it really didn't seem all that great as a pipe lighter. Didn't seem to be very wind resistant either.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have I bought a million years ago with the fake leather on one side. Unfortunately, the tube that the flint goes into became detached in the lighter. I don't know if it can be fixed or even who would be capable of fixing it. So it sits as a novelty item among my pipe materials.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I've had one for years, seldom if ever use it. It isn't the best of designs but is an interesting collectable. The Zippo is a much more efficient lighter for a lot of reasons.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you have to do more than clear the flint receiver and take a toothbrush to the wheel, probably not. Five minutes of time to clean and have in working condition? Sure. It all depends on how much you value having a working Nimrod.
I've got a perfectly good Nimrod laying around in a drawer somewhere. Unless you are going to use it, not for long probably, leave it as it is and find a spot in a drawer for it.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
25841771963_2e276d518a_k.jpg

It came with the box and instruction manual too so if I can't get it working I think I could display it as a collectible and eventually sell it to another collector when I get sick of it. Thanks for the info, gentlemen.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
That's a Sportsman. They aren't complicated. From the looks of that one, a new flint and some fluid and I bet it works fine. Those work okay. The biggest drawback to me is that it doesn't hold much fluid. Tends to go dry when you need it most. But it's a nifty design. You get a straight up flame directly over the bowl. Not a big money collectable, but vintage and cool! The box and brochure is a definite plus.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
There is an O-ring on mine, also a Sportsman. I became interested in pipes because of my scoutmaster, who smoked a pipe during the troop meetings, and lit the thing with a Nimrod lighter. As I remember, the pipe was a prince with a black finish, but I never did have a really close up look at it. Anyway, as long as there is no air movement, and no real distance between the lighter and the pipe, the Nimrod works ok. Oh, and remember to refil it every day.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Katarn07:
I've got a couple of Nimrods in my lighter bowl that never get used. But I like looking at them because they remind me of friends who used them in the past. They lay alongside a Beattie Jet Lighter that is scary as hell to use. It's good that you have the box and manual and that your lighter appears to be in great condition. They'll help push it closer to a forty to fifty buck hammer down on the Bay.
EricTR, what a fabulous link! Thanks for sharing.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.