PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedhoss

Lurker
Jan 16, 2019
My lovely wife surprised me with a Nimrod like my grandfather had.

However as a kid I remember it rolling or striking the clockwise shooting the spark AT the wick. Am I terribly confused or just ignorant?

If Im not the latter can I reverse the stop in the wheel to strike inward?

Thank you in advance

beardedhoss

Lurker
Jan 16, 2019
Lol, I think part of the flint was jammed in the wheel, once I put a little more pressure it popped and worked perfect.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Dumb question: Was there ever an O-ring or gasket on the fill plug at the bottom of the Nimrod?
I have one that used to be my grandfather's, probably mid 1970s or earlier. It holds fluid for about 6 hours, and I'm thinking that an O-ring or gasket may be missing because it's straight thread flush with the bottom, which in mechanics always indicates a gasket or ring makes the seal and not the threads (as opposed to tapered threads).

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Mine does not have anything. It does look like one could be installed although "O" rings usually are compressed against a parallel surface and this would be compressed on an angled surface.
I looked at the original patent and no seal/gasket is indicated. I do not use it often enough to say how long a fill lasts. I do think it is longer then the Zippo.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
My lovely wife surprised me with a Nimrod like my grandfather had.
I had to do an image search, but boy that's a handsome lighter!
Unless you mean the one that looks like a bolt pulled from a bridge. That one's not so handsome.

Status
Not open for further replies.