Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igormorgado

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
Hello there!
I'm probably the 1000th one to ask this same question, but haven't found any answers for that yet.
A week ago I was going for a resupply in my nightcap stock when I found that Dunhill do not exist (at least not for pipes) anymore. Now I'm orphan of nightcap, a smoke that I loved since my first try (in fact it was nightcap that turns me into a pipe smoker, I was a non smoker at all).
I love the blends with fireplace aroma, as FK Lancer Slices, and C&D Super Balkan. Enjoyed Ashton's Artisan blend (but too sweet in my opinion) and I'm looking for a replacement for Dunhill Nightcap, mostly if is sold in bulk.
Also I didn't enjoyed too much the Arango - Balkan Supreme (can't explain why).
Any tips?
And by the way, what is the best way to store bulk tobacco? I use a mason jar stored away from light.
Best regards.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You mentioned Lancer Slices although difficult to obtain. Boswell Railroad Station. HU Fayyum Kake and perhaps, Zulu. Taste is individual. Research Tobaccoreviews.com and do some searches. Buy a few tins and try them.
I cellar bulk in both mason jars and mylar bags.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Personally, I had heard Quiet nights was a good one and tried it alongside some nightcap. QN didn't taste like nightcap to me, but I found it to be a much better blend. And I concur with hoosier - Boswell's RR station and also Ashton's AB are fantastic blends as well.

Mar 29, 2016
G. L. Pease - Quiet Nights (Old London Series) captures the spirit of this kind of English mixture. You could also try your own luck at mixing the tobaccos that make Nightcap.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a different animal but fills a Nightcap niche for me, C&D Bayou Night, good sturdy full-flavored blend.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
hoosierpipeguy I have heard people say that Artisan's is similar to Nigh Cap ... but I don't adhere to this opinion. I honestly think that the ashton blend is more of a lat bomb that the dunhill.

igormorgado

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
Thank you all for the replies.
I have in front of me a tin of Ashton's Artisan's Blend in front of me, while I enjoyed (really) the smoke, I still recall of nightcap with a sad thought :-( . I think Artisan's Blend is sweeter than Nightcap. I have to agree with Madox07.
I will check for Bayou Night from MSO489 recommendation, and also quiet nights from virginia lover.
In the other hand, I have no idea where to start to make a "Night Cap like" blend. Any sugestions?
Best regards everyone!

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
Hi
I am new here but if I ever get to 50 posts I have a huge cellar with 12 year old Nightcap, lancers, Balkan Sasieni that I will be liquidating due to health problems. I am visually impaired now so typing is a very slow process for me
Jeff

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
Hi
I am new here but if I ever get to 50 posts I have a huge cellar with 12 year old Nightcap, lancers, Balkan Sasieni that I will be liquidating due to health problems. I am visually impaired now so typing is a very slow process for me
Jeff

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
"It's a different animal but fills a Nightcap niche for me, C&D Bayou Night, good sturdy full-flavored blend." - MSO
I'll second that, although Bayou Night has a much larger percentage of perique than Nightcap.
If you've been bitten by the latakia bug, try Pirate Kake. It's loaded with the stuff and a very good smoke, plus it looks like a brownie and is fun and easy to prepare.
Both ideas are good for a substitute, but I'm still searching for that "Holy Grail" replacement for Nightcap myself. Artisan's is the next on my to-do list, and I'll probably take Peterson's Balkan Delight for a test drive after that.
Enjoy your search, I know I'm enjoying mine.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Ive been told Mountain Camp from C&D is similar. haven't tried it yet... In my search for Nightcap replacement, I found captain earls.. not the same profile, but very good.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
dethmutt
Are you referring to Capt Earle's Nightwatch?
I'm absolutely addicted to Ten Russians by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.