PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I opened a tin of Nightcap in late November 13' and smoked a few bowls and was not impressed. It had a strange flavor, somewhat bitter. I closed the tin and decided to let it sit for a while. I got it out today and lit it up. What a difference. It is one of the best smokes I have ever had. I will smoke the rest of this tin and I am popping another to let it sit for a while. :)

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I had a similar experience with Nightcap. It is one of my favorite blends now, and I buy it on a regular basis. I find if you open the tin and let it sit in a jar for about a week, it completly transforms the taste. I usually smoke small bowls before bed, as it has quite a kick, or first thing in the morning. It was my first experience of Latakia, and I can still remember the first bowl I ever had. Now I am rambling, but try it after it has had some air to it. It is,IMO, much better. Best of luck!

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I totally agree. It not the same after it sits a while. Other tobaccos benifit from sitting also but I have not had one change as much as nightcap.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hmm. Maybe it's time to try Nightcap again. A few years ago (like around 1970) I was looking for a light English to smoke just before bedtime, and because of the name, I bought Nightcap. Big mistake! I enjoyed the smoke a lot, but I was on a nicotine high until 2 am.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
There are two Lat blends, which also contain a noticeable amount of Perique that I enjoy, Nightcap is one of them. The other is Frog Morton On The Bayou, that being said, I have to be in the mood to smoke them.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have an opened tin/jar of Nightcap from over a year ago that I just never finished. It was strong to me at the time, but that was before I began to lean heavily on Latakia blends.
Time to revisit.

irishkevin

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
My appreciation for nightcap has diminished since I picked it up, first couple of smokes I really enjoyed it, let it age some in a jar and enjoyed the change...however I have smoked it too much as of late opposite brown bogie. It may be the extreme difference between the two, or I'm just tired of the same thing for dinner each night (so to speak).

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I have some Nightcap that I bought in 2007 that is in a mason jar under my bed. I smoke it every once in a while, but I've got a lot of blends opened so I probably don't smoke it as much as I would like to. I just bought a brand new tin to pop one of these days to compare the "fresh" out of the tin flavor to the aged flavor. I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare. Personally I love it with some age on it but I've totally forgotten what it tastes like new.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I love Nightcap, it does indeed make a nice late-evening smoke. When I open a tin I put it in a bail-top glass jar, it usually takes me a month or more to go through it, and I have never noticed the slightest change in taste from the first to the last bowl, or from that last bowl to the first bowl from the next tin, where it would be more evident I suspect.

oldsoldier

Lurker
Feb 15, 2014
I had exactly the same experience dcrguns; opened a tin purchased in January 2013 and found it bitter and unpalatible.
I put it aside with a mind to blend it later with some of my other Tobaccos.
I forgot all about it until some 3 weeks later, decided to light it up once more out of curiosity, and lo and behold, it was a completely different smoking experience; cool, silky on the palate, with a lovely medium sized nicotine hit to it.
From now on for me; open the tin, let it age for a time, and continue the journey.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
me too I guess... I'll have to go back and find the jar with the nightcap in it...it's in there somewhere...

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Fair warning. I have a jar of Nightcap that's 11 years old (yes, I forgot it in the back of the shelf). It's mellowed too much and rather boring now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An earlier post said that Nightcap being sold recently has been much milder than a year or two ago. In the past,

I found it very strong on nic, but much improved by waiting a few days or a week after opening the tin. Then it

became a nice smooth smoke, but still with a strong nic kick. I'm aging a tin I received for Christmas.
Interesting about the 11-year-old tin going bland. Maybe it's like wine, improving for a certain length of time,

then deteriorating.
Other than an over-aged tin, Nightcap seems to be one of the most consistently like blends, except for the nic

sensitive.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It's probably everything. The virginias may have improved but the latakia and perique softened. The beauty of Nightcap is that it's so balanced, no single element is overwhelms the others. I think my older stuff is a victim of the balance being screwed up. I'll revisit it tonight.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Totally agree about the new issue of Nightcap benefiting with a couple weeks time after popping the tin.

Felt completely opposite about the Murray's issue. Loved it fresh out of the tin.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
I did a very similar thing. I opened the tin and threw it in a mason jar, shaking it up to make it a nice loose ribbon cut. Left it for two weeks and came back to it, shook it around for a while and left it for another two weeks. It was much better than the first bowl I had right after opening it. I got the idea off of a tobacco review website.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I revisted my old jar of Nightcap yesterday and my conclusion was the same. It's nice but it's not what I liked about it before. After a while, the latakia & perique soften so much that it becomes a "normal" English. What was always appealing about young Nightcap (or under a year in age) is that it blends together well and no component dominates.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just finally smoked it for the first time last night, it's probably the first time I've cracked a tin of anything and it's been ready to smoke. I love it, not too strong on any points. I'd only tried the match for it PM pipe by McClellends's before, and like their am pipe match for EMP, they're not even really similar to the Dunhill's. I can't believe they even call it a match, it should just be their own McC's blend. Nightcap is amazing, maybe it's because of getting into blends lately like cool hand fluke with 40% perique the nicotine and the flavours I don't find strong at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.