PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Years ago Dunhill Nightcap bulk was made by Lane. Does anyone have any solid information about who makes the current bulk? Is it the same as the tins?
I would like to grab a few pounds to jar, but don't want to waste money if it's not the same as the tin.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's the same in bulk as in the tins and yes it's made by orlik now. If you haven't tried this current version don't buy it buy the pound as some people love it and some people find it a huge disappointment compared to the older version of nightcap. I've only tried this current version and was expecting a nicotine latakia bomb but it's more of a sweet oriental mixture, I like it alot and never tried the older version. http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/dunhill-pipe-tobacco-returns-to-the-us/

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
andrew- I love it, I'm smoking 2-3 year old tins and aging really does wonders for it. But I don't think I would be able to keep enough aged tins, thus I need to look towards bulk to shore up the cellar for the future. I also want to do some experimenting with it by adding burleys to it for some extra Nic :)
You can buy it by the ounce, also....
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/39873/dunhill-nightcap-tin-bulk/
This is one of the reasons the bulk sounded a bit suspect to me:
2 lb at P&C = ~$78

2 lb at SP = ~$110
Wonder why the huge price difference? Usually these guys are within a few bucks from each other...

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Not sure where you are looking ruscho?? Are you overseas?
1 lb. at P&C - $43

1 lb. at SP - $55
Sorry, I meant 2 lb :), but even at just a pound, it's $12 difference, wonder why?

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
For what it's worth, I've recently purchased bulk EMP/MM965/NC at Pipes & Cigars in 5lb lots ($36/lb), and I have recently purchased tins of the same from 4noggins, and they are the same product. I have never tried the pre-Orlik version, nor have I tried it aged. As always, "your mileage may vary", but that is my experience.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm not sure that Lane ever had a hand in the Dunhill production but I do know that Murray's did for many years after the demand rose beyond the output of the Dunhill shop. I just recently had the pleasure of smoking some very old Dunhill Nigtcap that was blended in the shop and I can honestly say that the current Orlik rendition is nicely done. I have bulk stashes of the EMP, 965 and NC and doubt I'll ever buy another tin of any of it since the bulk is so much more affordable.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The Dunhill blends are made by Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG). STG owns many pipe tobacco brands, such as Orlik, but does not own the Dunhill brand. That is owned by BAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.