PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've been with the same company now for about 7 1/2 years. Out of those, my first year and a half were on day shift, then I spent 5 years on nights. I've spent the last year back on days, but a couple of weeks ago, through no choice of my own, I had to go back to nights. It looks like I'll be on nights for quite some time, and man does it suck! I was really getting used to the whole day shift thing again, but I always knew in the back of my mind that they would eventually put me back on nights.
I work 12 hour shifts, 2 days on, 2days off, with a three day weekend every other week. My 12's are usually more like 13's though. It's been really hard adjusting to this schedule since I've gone back to nights, especially with the overtime I've been working. My wife doesn't like it much either, nor does the dog! We had finally gotten our finances back in order somewhat, and moved into our new house. It finally seemed like a normal life for the first time in a long time, now it's all F'd up again! I don't even get to spend time on here like I would like too, and when I do, it's usually in the wee hours of the morning (like now, 3:40 AM) and there's hardly anybody on here! It sucks that I don't get to participate in the hot topics while everybody else is! I usually don't see them until later, or miss them all together!
Sorry for the rant guys, but I just thought I'd share! So if y'all don't hear much from me during the day, it's not because I'm ignoring you guys, it's because I'm in the bed!
Dan

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Push on through Dan. Do you get a smoke while you work? I love the middle of the night smokes, the world is peaceful and still, and you get to listen to the silence.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@james, our factory is smoke free unfortunately! I only get about 10min. after I finish my meal at lunch to smoke. Sometimes I'll try to squeeze a few puffs from a pipe in then, but I usually only have time for a (don't judge me) cigarette.
@nfisher, I work 7:00 to 7:30, but it's usually more like 6:30 to 7:45!

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I hear you. I worked the graveyard shift about 7 years ago. I hated it. The body is not meant to be up those hours. Now I work swing shift (2:30pm to 12:30am). I like these hours much better but its not ideal for the family life.
Hang in there brother. Maybe the powers that be will switch you back.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@tamer, I hope so brother! We've got a couple of guys in the shop that are due to retire pretty soon, but I have a feeling that someone else will get dibs on their day shift spots.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
@petes, sounds like we are both in a pretty similar situation

I hadn't worked nights for several years and now with my new job I work 12 hours shift 6a -6p for two weeks then switch to 6p-6a for two. We also work a 3 day weekend every other weekend. I have 1 spot they let me smoke outside the building but of course there is a security camera looking right at me so no time for a good smoke so I also smoke the nails at work.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Buer. Sorry to hear that. Used to do to rotating nights and days as an RN. 12 hour shifts were often 14. Of course, someone at least occasionally went into cardiac arrest, that helped pass the time :)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I am usually sitting at my desk shortly after 6:00 am. My son just started working at WalMart. Last night I went to bed at 9:30. Got up at 10:40 to pick him up at 11:00. Back in bed about 11:15. Then the alarm goes off at 4:30. My wife and I are constantly negotiating who gets to drive him. I am looking forward to his next paycheck, so he will start paying us for taxi service.
Winton
Also, it could be worse. My brother works IT for UPS. He leaves his house Monday am to go somewhere to fix something. When done, they tell him to go to the next place, etc. He returns home on Friday night. Every night he sleeps at a different hotel, but never knows what city he will end up in when he wakes up.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
You're telling me, I hate it. Working 12's three days a week and 8's the other three days a week as a temp. I make like no money even with the overtime. But getting on the forums help during breaks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After a 24-hour flight partly in a cargo plane to Clark Air Force Base in the Philippines, and a crazy mountain road

bus drive dodging jitnies and ox carts, I finally got to my ship at Subic Bay Naval Base, where I immediately caught

the midnight to zero eight hundred watch in the radio shack as we got underway to Vietnam. I think I had that watch

for the whole cruise, about a year including the voyage back to the U.S./Long Beach, CA. It really messed me up in

terms of circadian rhythms, but was good in that, as an introvert, I got to be alone in the radio shack for long stretches

on an otherwise very cramped and crowded, very small ship. A novelist in my family got her first book written because

she couldn't sleep; that quiet time is invaluable for creative work. You don't have to dodge phone calls and other

talkative influences. This time of year with short daylight, I have to be careful to get out in the sunlight or I get the

blues.

Jan 8, 2013
I've worked my fair share of overnight shifts myself, Petes. It does indeed suck. You're social life pretty much goes down the toilet because when you're getting ready for work, friends and family are getting ready for bed. And when your getting ready for bed, they're getting up for their days. Hopefully you won't get stuck on that shift for too terribly a long time. I like seeing you around here on the forums.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Since I've started working thirds, I talk to you guys more than those living in my house...crazy realization of the day

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
sounds pretty awful.. I work 24 hours straight then two days off.. But Im allowed to sleep, eat and workout so I guess I cant really complain haha. The perks of being a fireman I suppose... Good luck man and hope it gets better.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks guys!
@smeigs, I know all about the 24 hour stuff my friend! When I was a millwright it was a " work til it's done" kinda job. I pulled many 24+ hour shifts, though I didn't get any sleep or days off. The longest shift I ever worked was 31 1/2 hours straight, I then went home for 5 hours and came back and worked 18 1/2 more. This is on top of a 48 hour regular work week!

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
@petes... That sounds pretty awful haha! Well I commend you for your strong work ethic! We need more people like that.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I used to like third shift when I started my job. That was 5 years ago. I'm tired of it and looking for any opportunity to go to days. Nothing so far so I'm still chugging along. So I guess I feel your pain.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I use to have to work midnight until 0830; I just remember hating the hours and the fact that they mad us clock out for breaks and worse would get mad when I wouldn't use the full 30 minutes worth. I would have preferred to get off a half hour early, but they turned out to be just a bunch of idiots. I'm pretty happy working 1400-2200 at my new job; I get to sleep in and have my mornings to myself. Good luck to you and I hope you can find a way back to days soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.