PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Any opinions to be shared about this pipe? It is extraordinary beautiful, but I only know Tonni by name, nothing about smoking qualities of her pipes. PM me about this if you feel it to be wiser. Really expensive pipe, so I don't want to pull the trigger unless I'm sure.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Tonni Nielsen is one of the very best carvers in the world. He lives in Kentucky with his wife Barbara. They summer in Denmark.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
He's originally from Copenhagen, and carved for W.O. Larsen early on in his career. I say grab it!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'll need to have my head examined (when I can afford it) but I pulled the trigger on the Sparrow. This is the most expersive pipe I've ever bought, by far and away. But the darn thing kept calling my name, "Buy me, buy me." What could I do? If only I had a first born that I could sell to make up for this indulgence! (It went on a credit card, of course.) May God have mercy on me!

002-192-02821.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
That's a beautiful pipe Sparrowhawk, you won't be disappointed, Tonni's pipes are spectacular smokers and it will be even more beautiful in person than in the photographs. Congrats!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks bunches, philo. I'm still scared spitless at the price tag. I'm hoping actually holding the pipe in hand will allay my fears.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks bunches, philo. I'm still scared spitless at the price tag. I'm hoping actually holding the pipe in hand will allay my fears.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Given the option of a Nielson pipe, that implies an exceptional briar was used to make this particular pipe. What kind of briar would have been used? For that matter, what different kinds of briar are there?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Having said that, what are the differences between these briars and what kind of briar does Tonni use. I assume it's a safe bet that Tonni uses the very highest quality?

The Sparrow arrives tomorrow. I can't wait!

Dec 24, 2012
Tonni makes a great pipe and is a real classy gentleman to boot. I have a couple of his pipes and really enjoy them. I will say though that my two Tonni pipes have a narrower draw than I was used to when I got them. I have learned how to smoke them properly but it did take some practice after I had become accustomed to pipes with a wider draw, like my Castellos. I pack my Tonni pipes a little looser than my other pipes that have a wider draft whole. Beautiful pipe, by the way.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Tonni Nielson's Sparrow arrived today. Wow! What an extraordinary piece of pipe artistry! I waited a while before smoking it--I wanted to savor the moment before smoking a truly exceptional pipe. After a few hours of holding back, I loaded it up with Trout Steam and hit it with a charing light, tamp it down, followed by the true light. I wasn't disappointed. It was a smoke like no other, and you have to hold the pipe itself to see the little subtitles that imply the title, the tiny bits of carved briar that suggest a sparrow, an upward carve here and there the way a sparrow flicks its feathers. An amazing pipe, an amazing smoke that I don't think I will ever find an equal. My thanks to you, gentlemen, for so strongly recommending this pipe, and my gratitude to Mr. Nielson for making this pipe available for sale.

002-192-0282_4-1.jpg
002-192-0282_5.jpg
002-192-0282_5.jpg

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm treating this pipe like the Crown Jewels. Two smokes a day with the chamber half full with the rim protected by a thin layer of wax. And so forth.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Uh oh, Fred's been bit by the artisan bug! Any thoughts of contacting Tonni Nielsen for a commission?

Status
Not open for further replies.