Nicotine? Too many bowls? Still a newbie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have retaken up pipes after a very long layoff. I started with a dozen or so pipes I smoked 45 years ago, and have added another bunch, mostly estates. By now I have cleaned up most of the crud I deposited back then, got rid of most scorch marks, sweetened almost all bowls, deep cleaning of mortises, etc.. When I bought years ago, I got mostly unfinished pipes, and a few mid quality finished ones. I smoked Burlington Arcade, a long ago discontinued sort of English blend, said to have Latakia and Perique, don't know if Virginias or Burleys were there - probably were, but couldn't guess the percentages. If it gave me trouble, I've forgotten it!
Now to date I have been dealing with a lot of variables— moisture content, small samples of tobacco, pipes new or foreign to me, including my own—and over the past month, smoking 3-8 bowls a day, using tobaccos found at my local pipe stores. But I decided to buy in bulk, and got a pound of Comoy's Cask 11, Pegasus, and Billy Budd. But I have no idea of the nicotine content, or if I am now sensitive to Latakia or Perique, or something else. I get occasional nausea, even when I think I am smoking carefully.
Are any or all of the above high in nicotine? I've searched but find no guidance on that. I am at sixes and sevens right now, as a small bowl put down for an hour and relit gassed me completely. I love smoking and now collecting, so I hope I might get some advice- or at least sympathy!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/
Or, go to the forums search panel and put your blend's name in there...you'll find lots of opinions.

Or, just google the blend. You'll find something about it.

If you get nausea easily, I hear tell that Billy Budd will smack you pretty good. Ya got a pound of it, ya say?

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
You can check here.

Basically Latakia, burley, Virginia are weaker to strong in Nic. But it also has more Nic by how cure like fire-cure is stronger.

Comoy's Cask 11 - mild

Pegasus - medium

Billy Budd - strong

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sweeps clean! - Newbroom- Thanks. I did use the local reviewing site, nothing on Cask 11, a bit on Pegasus, and lots on Billy Budd, which I knew was strongest of the three, but no indication of nicotine strength. Also went to reddit site, only one review, rather dated, on Pegasus. General googling leaves me guessing at accuracy of opinions.
I have 4 oz of Budd, and 8 oz of Pegasus, and a pound of the Cask 11. I wonder if I should get something with lower punch in nicotine, but just don't know how to assess that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, forest; I guessed/thought that's how they were in order, but I wonder if there is any source for actual nicotine punch? Strong taste is one thing, tongue bite another, but headaches and nausea is quite a different class of negative effects! I guess smoking less, and slower, is the way to go for now.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Nic gives even hiccup...

all Nic punch depend on how much actual Nic inhale beside tobacco strenth. Even we think do just puff.

To avoid Nic inhale smoke at outdoor with a fresh air or have some tea or coffee with smoke...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
First off, the nicotine is mostly absorbed into the blood stream through your gums. You can inhale to get the nic hit quicker, but I'd highly suggest against it, because it's pretty harsh.
The lowest nicotine blends are going to be aromatics.
Burley blends are big in nicotine. Some Virginia/Perique blends can bring in the nicotine. Sometimes straight Virginia blends can give you nicotine overload even though they have a higher sugar level and low nicotine level.
It's all relative. What puts someone under the table might not do anything to another person. You just have to give the blends a try. You can do some research and find a consensus through sites like TobaccoReviews.com. Some things you can do to avoid nicotine overload are make sure you have a bowl on a full stomach, keep yourself hydrated, and keep a chocolate bar handy in case you feel the overload coming on with sweats and hiccups etc..

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
People have different reactions to different blends.
I never had any issue with Billy Budd, my first bowl of Old Joe Krantz rocked me though. By my third bowl I was no longer phased by it. So you can get used to them and build up a tolerance.
I have seen other threads mention eating/drinking something sugary can help with the nicotine if it is starting to get to you. I have never really tried that to confirm one way or the other. I enjoy the nicotine, but know my body's signs that a rush is coming and it is time to slow down or put the pipe down altogether for a little.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5575/comoys-of-london-cask-11-british-strength

This sounds to be a moderately strong blend. People seem to enjoy it. You will be able to trade some of your pound of Cask 11 for something, I'm sure, if you decide you don't want to keep at it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As an earlier post mentioned, Pegasus is quite mild, Billy Budd strong. If you want a non-aromatic that has lower nic, and is a complex and interesting blend, try a pouch of P&C HH Mid-Town Chestnut. In your situation, you might have to sample around because different blends affect different people differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.