PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
I am not a nicotine guy. So, I would appreciate some short list input on which tobaccos have the least and which have the most nicotine. Thanks in advance.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Most McClelland blends have very low nicotine, which is one reason I love them so much. Just don't ask why I'm smoking Nightcap at the moment 8O

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
+1. I don't inhale, perhaps that's why nicotine content doesn't have as profound an effect on me. That said, Royal Yacht is one of the higher nic blends and I can't let the smoke out through my nose, it burns.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Nightcap is a hefty one, and I had quite a nic hit when I tried Old Dublin as well. I've heard the Samuel Gawith ones are fairly high, but I didn't really get that much of a kick when I tried the 1792 flake (although I only smoked half a bowl).
I've found most aromatics seem to be quite low. I get on rather will with a fair few Peterson tobaccos (Sherlock Holmes is alright, and Connoisseurs Choice being my favourite), Dunhill EMP is a light (ish) one, and MAc Baren's vanilla cream is pretty low.
Of course, it's worth noting - I'm a fairly new pipe smoker, and can only offer advice on the (limited) tobaccos I've tried.

highlander

Might Stick Around
Dec 5, 2013
However limited, this is more information than I had a couple of hours ago....which was none.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I don't necessarily agree with the Mcclelland thing. Generally burley/kentucky tobaccos have the most nicotine

That makes sense Sam. I'm not a burley man. I smoke their VA's and English blends and so far have not noticed any nic hit.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I find aromatics to be the overall lowest nic blends. The popular 1Q comes to mind.
I smioke a lot of heavy ones. GH Kendall Kentucky is my current fav nic fix as well as Dark Flake unscented. SG ropes and 1792 are pretty heavy too. Five Brothers is a notorious one as well.

volyd

Lurker
Nov 22, 2013
(I have no affiliation with it, so I hope I'm allowed to post this. Otherwise I apologize and edit/remove it) I would suggest giving www.tobaccoreviews.com a look.

Was always a helpful site, but now you can search for certain criteria (Search > Show more search fields... > Avg. Strength ) .

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
English blends are generally lower in nicotene than other non-aro blends, though Nightcap and Billy Budd are definitely exceptions. They tend to emphasize Virginia over Burley, which is one of the most high-nic leaves, and they have latakia, which is one of the lowest. Lat bombs are flavor monsters but very mild in the nicotene area.

I really don't know much about other types, English blends are pretty much my focus. But if you haven't already, you should see how latakia agrees with you.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
like voyld said if you are curious about nic content go to tobaccoreviews.com. they site rates each tobacco on nicotine quantity.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I remember being told the "strength" on tobacco reviews was pertaining to flavor not nicotine. I could have been misinformed?
Any ways I am nic-sensitive, and am careful with any thing that says burley. I reserve my small pipes for burley blends.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 on the aro's ... they seem the lowest nic-hit to me.
Hey Kent ... how do i get into the CCSS? :P

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Isn't it a contradiction to say that aromatics are low nicotine, when most aromatics are made using some percentage of burley (which everyone agrees is high nic)?

OK, I've thought about this, and right or wrong, here it goes...
Nicotine may be higher in burleys and may be even higher in aromatics if we sent it out to be tested. But, because of the acidity in Virginias, we get a bigger punch of nicotine from the smaller amounts of nic in "some" dark Virginias. PH affects how the nicotine is delivered to your system. Whereas, some heavily topped burleys which may have an underlying oasis of nicotine, just doesn't deliver the punch, because the PH of the sweet toppings makes the delivery slower. Thus, an aromatic could have "volumes" of Nicotine, with most of it just hitting the bulletproof vest of our tongue. Whereas, some darker Virginias that are not especially high in nicotine deliver a more pronounced headspin, because of the armor piercing qualities that the acidity gives the nic.
What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.