PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pleiades

Lurker
Aug 21, 2013
I'm new to this hobby and I can't figure out how a pipe smoker can ingest nicotine. I'm puffing like a little dragon, not inhaling. So how on earth does the nicotine get into my system?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Your mouth absorbs the nicotine, but it doesn't absorb it as well as say your lungs. Cigar tobacco and *some pipe tobacco is an akalyine, so it doesn't do well with your lungs which is one of the reasons you shouldn't inhale. You'll find the burleys are cross tobacco and used in cigarettes as well as pipes. (keep in mind your cigarettes have filters too...)
Cigarettes were made from a special tobacco that tends to me more acidic and thus when you inhale it you don't cough like a demon - and allows nicotine to be absorbed more readily.
From here http://www.tobacconistuniversity.org/tobacco-college/cigarettes1.asp :

With regard to cigarettes, it is imperative to understand that the absorptive capacity of the lungs is hundreds of times greater than the tissue in the mouth. Thus, far more nicotine is passed into the bloodstream when smoke is inhaled. When cigarette smoke is taken into the lungs, it deposits 80% of the tars into the respiratory tract and passes 90% of the nicotine directly into the bloodstream. Within seconds of each inhalation, nicotine-sensitive receptors in the brain activate neurotransmitters which cause the release of enzymes. These enzymes quickly increase heart rate, raise blood pressure, constrict blood vessels, and produce other reactions which create a mildly narcotic effect on the user. Consequently, the lung-specific delivery method and concentration of nicotine, coupled with the instantaneous effects of inhalation, are what make cigarette smoking a potentially compulsive and/or addictive behavior. This potent, nearly instantaneous cigarette “high” is profoundly different from the experience of cigar and pipe smokers who absorb nicotine through their mouth, not the lungs.
All of the above stated if you are trying to get a bit more nicotine from smoking a pipe without inhaling - there are some heavier blends that would work great and I'm sure some gentlemen here can point you in the right direction.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Think of when a heart patient needs to take nitroglycerin. They often place it under their tongue for fast absorption. A lot of nicotine is absorbed just through the mouth.
And as pylorns says, there are some pipe tobaccos with a lot of nicotine - so much so that even cigarette smokers will turn green smoking them without inhaling - lol.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
My suggestions, if you're looking for a Nic-hit are:

Captain Earle's Ten Russians

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Five Brothers
Ten Russians is a Latakia heavy blend in plug form, so others around you probably won't appreciate it, but I've found it's deliciously complex.

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired has some great flavors and is available in both flake and ready rubbed form.

Five Brothers is a beast. I don't smoke it because it is so potent. It comes in a shag cut and burns very easily.
That said, these are all high Nicotine blends. There are ones which have less, but personal body chemistry plays a part too.
-Jason

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I have yet to try these, but Dunhill's Royal Yacht and Nightcap both appear to have high levels of nicotine. You may want to pick up a tin of each and see which one packs more of a punch. Also, I'm sure some of the veteran pipers here will be happy to share their recommendations. Welcome to the hobby!

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
You are a "retired paramedic" and you don't understand how a chemical in smoke, can be ingested into the body through the mouth?!

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Jason you forgot Irish Flake and Royal Yacht can be a serious ride if smoked wrong.

~Ron

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
pleiades, I gather that you're saying you get indigestion from nicotine? Interesting, since I find that the nicotine in pipe tobacco is one of the very few things that actually helps with my very severe IBS problems. But we all react differently. If it leaves you with too unpleasant a feeling I suggest drinking a sugary beverage, or munching on some chocolates.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I can't figure out how a pipe smoker can ingest nicotine. I'm puffing like a little dragon, not inhaling.

Lets not kid ourselves. When I clench the pipe and breath in and out, I can smell the smoke so I'm inhaling it. I'm not sucking on it like a cigarette but it still gets in my lungs. Is that not inhaling?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Right, second hand, whichever. I love me some side stream. It is a much more pleasurable and elegant way to ingest nicotine. When I dropped the cigarettes the cough went away, so it is not as efficient, and it takes longer, but it still is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.