PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i have developed a liking to latakia smoking sutliff blend # 5 & now tried dunhill my mixture 965 causing the room to rotate & turn upside down.

mc clelland 3 oaks also gives me no nicotine rush.
to those who have tried #5 & 965 - how much more nicotine is in 965 - blend #5 does not hit me but 965 wiped me out.
i do know i cant take nicotine - solani has more nicotine in their tobaccos but this 965 really hit me.

anyone give me an idea what hit me !!
thanks - have recuperated now

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is interesting. I consider myself very nicotine sensitive (ok,nic-wimp) but I smoke and enjoy 965 almost daily and don't notice the nicotine at all in that blend. I have not tried Blend #5.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
I know that I like the amount of Nicotine in 965, and can feel a light buzz from it, whereas in my opinion Sutliff #5 seems weak and flat in comparison.
It looks like in many tobacco reviews the strength of 965 is rated as "medium" while #5 is "mild to medium"

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm very sensitive to nicotine. Not that the room immediately starts spinning. But I don't care at all for what I can only describe as the "harshness" that comes with higher-nicotine blends. And MM 965 definitely delivers the kind of back-of-the-throat harsh-smoke experience that equals "nicotine" for me. As a result, I can smoke it, but I don't get nearly as much pleasure from it as others will who enjoy higher-nicotine blends.
Since I have very limited experience with higher-nicotine blends, I'd say it's probably accurate to say that it is "medium" in strength.
To give you something to compare this to: I find Nightcap too high in nicotine, Solani Aged Burley Flake is just past the limits of what I enjoy, HH Old Dark Fired is nudging my limits, and both McConnell's Latakia Flake and G&H's Dark Flake are way beyond what I can enjoy.
Bob

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i would like to reduce the nicotine hit by blending 965 with prince albert - how good would latakia be with 50/50 burley ?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
smokertruck:
You're going to reduce nicotine by adding burley? I don't think so. Burley is one of the highest-nicotine leaves available. I believe it's the burley-based cavendish in MM 965 that gives it its nicotine kick in the first place.
Bob

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I'm curious and people don't ever seem to answer this question: are you inhaling? Otherwise I can't understand how people are absorbing enough nicotine through their oral tissue to feel a buzz, let alone dizzy. If I take a full-on deep inhale of Royal Yacht right after the true light, sure my head will spin. But if I don't inhale I can smoke that nic powerhouse all day long and not feel a thing.

Reactions: TheWhale13

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I, for one, never inhale through the pipe. I do, of course, enjoy smelling the smoke that pipe smoking produces.
I don't know the biology behind this. But I guarantee you that it's possible to get sick from nicotine without inhaling.
It helps to smoke higher-nicotine blends on a full stomach, and to avoid coffee/caffeine during a smoke.
Bob

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I do, of course, enjoy smelling the smoke that pipe smoking produces

Then you are inhaling smoke. I do the same, it's the primary way that I enjoy a pipe. Also if you exhale through your nose, you will be absorbing a lot of smoke/nicotene through the sinus.

Aug 14, 2012
965 has lots of nicotine, Royal yacht has more. If you have a problem with either of these smoke on a full stomach, and don't be afraid to discard the dottle.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Then you are inhaling smoke. I do the same, it's the primary way that I enjoy a pipe. Also if you exhale through your nose, you will be absorbing a lot of smoke/nicotene through the sinus.
Woodsroad is spot on here. I'd also suggest that a person's tolerance, or habituation, to nicotine as reflected by how often they take in nicotine plays a part in how different blends impact them. Given that I only smoke a few bowls a month at the moment, I certainly notice the nicotine impact on nights when I smoke multiple bowls. There have been a few club nights where my head is spinning, and/or I notice the nausea kicking in.
As others have mentioned, smoking on a full stomach and with a beverage helps. So does clenching and managing cadence.
As for the OP, I have only smoked 965 a little, and while I did find it had a healthy nicotine level I didn't find it over powering.
-- Pat

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
strange that burley blends dont seem to bother me, burley london blend , prince albert & just tried for the first bowl kentucky planter - no issue.
i dont inhale at all but i do pass the tobacco thru my nose - might reduce this when i try 965 again since didnt think passing thru the nose would be an issue
by the way that kentucky planter is a great taste again another blend recommended by someone here on pm - GREAT SITE GUYS
thanks for the responses.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
foggymountain:
Definitely agree re: Royal Yacht. Just revisited that one and knew, after a single bowl, that it was too much for me.
Bob

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm glad somebody else has issues with nicotine in MM 965. So... I'm not the only wimp! I've been digging into my pound bag of MM 965 for the past couple of weeks and have been experimenting with ways of putting it into various pipes, packing methods, and puffing cadence in order to minimize the noticeable increase in pulse rate within a half minute of lighting up. Slow sipping in a longer stemmed pipe seems to be an answer for me. Last night I enjoyed it in my Brebbia Canadian with minimal adverse effects.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You're going to reduce nicotine by adding burley? I don't think so. Burley is one of the highest-nicotine leaves available

Lol, +1 thin out the 965 with some 5 brothers ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
965 gives me a light buzz. Nightcap, at least the old version from a few years back, gave me considerably more. I'm aging

a tin of RY but haven't tried it yet, but I've been warned. I don't get much nic from most burley blends, like Carter Hall or

Granger, but 5 Bros, yes. I'm mostly not after a nic buzz, but it's okay when encountered. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Silly to smoke high nic as a point of honor. Who's keeping score?

Status
Not open for further replies.