PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I recently got a tin of Dunhill Flake and gave it a try about a week or so ago in a Savinelli Sterling Bordeaux which has a relatively small bowl. I thoroughly enjoyed it but I wasn’t able to give it all that much thought as I got a tad sidetracked and wasn’t sitting back and ‘relaxing’ with a bowl as it were.
Late yesterday afternoon is was a beautiful day here so I set out my folding chair on the front porch, grabbed a 7-Up (too early for a VO on the rocks or a cold beer), filled up a bowl of DF in a Savinelli Miele, which has a somewhat ample sized bowl, and set down to relax with a long smoke. I was in complete heaven with the DF as I was lucky enough to have dried it out just right and it only took one re-light with the occasional tamp. Love this stuff, but after about an hour, and as I was drawing to the end of the bowl ,I suddenly felt as though my head was going to float up from my body and drift off into my neighbor’s yard! This feeling lasted for about 15 minutes, but not as intense as when it first hit me.
The first thing that ran through my mind was a nicotine hit. However, that idea seemed somewhat odd as I’ve regretfully been a cigarette smoker for 50+ years and I obviously have a good tolerance for it, albeit I’m really trying to cut down and hopefully kick the f’ing habit. But, be that as it may. I’ll admit that I do inhale occasionally, but ever so slightly when I have the pipe clenched and certainly nothing whatsoever as one would inhale while smoking a cigarette. Obviously I’m no stranger to nicotine and I thrive for it as otherwise I wouldn’t be smoking the damn cigarettes in the first place. With that said, here is why I was somewhat perplexed.
1. I’m obviously no stranger to nicotine, and or adverse to it after all of these years.

2. DF is not known for having high nicotine content.

3. I did not smoke it on an empty stomach.
I’ll definitely be smoking DF again as I really enjoyed this tobacco, but next time I’ll perhaps smoke it in one of my smaller pipes. Could it have possibly been just an anomaly that somehow coincided with some quirk in my metabolism at that particular time? Has anyone else experienced this? Of course I’m directing this question to those that also smoke cigarettes, and or those that have a relatively good tolerance to nicotine. Bottom line... it just took me by surprise considering my years of cigarette smoking and I find it difficult to believe that any pipe tobacco could contain any substantial amount of nicotine to adversely affect someone who (obviously) has a substantial tolerance to it.

Jan 8, 2013
Never tried DF, but Jacknife Plug got me real good. I have been smoking cigarettes for 20 years, full flavor, between 1-2 packs a day until recently. Now, I realize Jacknife is known for high nic, but I thought with as much as I smoke I should be fine. By the end of the bowl my head was spinning and my stomach was turning. Good times. :D
Edit: BTW, I too inhale slightly and occasionally throughout the bowl, except with aromatics. Usually I pull the smoke in and push it back like I am going to snork it, then inhale through my nose to push it into my lungs. This definitely contributes to the nic absorption rate.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Maybe take it as a sign that you're beginning to effectively cut back. I type this as I puff on my Hardcastle Crescent bulldog stuffed to the brim with Dark Bird's Eye. My nicotine pedigree is such that I was a 1 - 2 pack a day guy but I've been toying with quitting cigs for 2 years now and I'm between 0-3 cigs per day at this point and all I can say is that it might have snuck up on you. I've never smoked DF but I've enjoyed my share of flakes (Pete Irish, DBE as mentioned, C&D Burley Flake #3) and sometimes this happens, I think you should take as good news that you can still surprise yourself, keep cutting down on the cigs, and move over to the exclusively very tasty high nic tobacco blends.
I think you would surprised at how fast your body adjusts to things. I have a friend who was a 2 - 3 pack a day cigarette smoker and can now get dizzy on PA. Not what I recommended to him but it works.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Yours only lasted 15 minutes? I've had a couple of nic hits that put me to bed for an hour or more unable to move my head at all.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Just finished Dunhill Night Cap in a Peterson Donegal Rocky 338.

It is nice tobacco for nic and I did really enjoyed.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I never smoked cigarettes, but in my youth as a pipe smoker, I ran some rag weed through my basket pipes. I mean, raw leaf. I could smoke the strongest stuff on the planet and not miss a lick.
To back that up, I was a pound a week pipe smoker for a couple of years while running a small newspaper, working monster hours. Never had a problem.
Then in the 1980s, as age began to crawl up my sleeves, I noticed that the Ol' Nic hit was real. I attended a pipe show in Nashville, popped a tin of the new Solani offering and puffed away happily (in the days when we could smoke inside the convention building).
A little later, I was in the men's bathroom, feeling mighty low, sweaty, sick and needing some relief.
A year later, laying up in my hammock outside on the deck, I packed a big pipe full of SG's 1792 Flake. Within an hour, I was hurling, head swimming, stomach churning.
Since the 1792 episode, I have had other events with tobaccos that I know that I could have handled with my left hand in my youth.
So, here is what I'm trying to say: I think that as we age, whatever nic immunities we might have had wear off.
Mine have and now, I agree with edgreen: I'm a nic wuss.
Never would have thunk it.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Tenn that was a great explanation, btw what part of Tenn or you in? I was down that way for a little while in whites creek.
As for the nic hit id love some recommendations for med to high test baccy.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
As for the nic hit id love some recommendations for med to high test baccy.
C&D's night train, that's head spinning stuff. Pretty much any rope tobacco. Black irish twist, best brown bogie, brown irish twist, pretty much any plug too. Cool hand fluke also by John Patton gives me a good sit down nic hit.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Condor-Tambo-Black Twist nicotine bomb. Woodsroad and I smoked some without any ill effects and it is not as bad as you would think!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've had a couple of nic hits that put me to bed for an hour or more unable to move my head at all.
Jeez! The last time I felt anything similar to that was back in 1970 at a rock festival in Kickapoo Creek Indiana and it sure as hell wasn't from tobacco! lol

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Gawain, Hoggarth & Co. Kendal Kentucky is 100% dark-fired Kentucky ... you want a nic hit ... this is the ticket.

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
It always surprise me how differently one can react. I smoke DF a lot and always find it just so in the nicotine department, but it does occasionally creep up on me and give a nasty surprise.
There seem to be so many factors at play - how full your stomach is, mood, even weather. Living in Dubai it's easy to get dehydrated in the summer months, which seems to play a big role at times.
Pipe smoking also has the cumulative effect which you don't get with cigarettes - sometimes it just all builds up and hits you when you least expect it!
Equally, the feeling you describe can be a sort of meditative experience. I've had situations where I am completely relaxed and am smoking a blend I'm familar with, but have been breathing evenly, deeply and gently for an hour or so. I think the combination of gentle contemplation, physical relaxation and the narcotic effect of the tobacco can create a zen like effect that can be quite wonderful.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
the tobacco can create a zen like effect that can be quite wonderful.

Yes, Peterson's University Flake, GL Pease Quiet Nights, Solani Aged Burley Flake.
I like to have to take a nap after.

Status
Not open for further replies.