PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Received an interesting article from a myth-busting doctor.
Peppers and tomatoes are good for the brain
Want to see your doctor dance? Ask him how you can slash your risk of Parkinson's disease.
He'll dance around the question like Fred Astaire!
That's because he knows the answer -- he knows the name of the one substance that's proven to protect the brain from this life-wrecking disease -- but there's not a chance in heck he'll say it out loud.
That's because the substance is nicotine. Yes, THAT nicotine -- the kind found in tobacco.
Of course, researchers are like your doctor -- they'd rather not talk about that, either, so they focus on just about everything else.
In one new study, researchers looked at the role of diet in Parkinson's and found that vegetables overall won't do much to lower your risk. But some veggies did offer some mild protection, like peppers and tomatoes.
Turns out all of the veggies that lowered the risk were part of the Solanaceae family.
Want to know what else is part of the Solanaceae family? Tobacco!
Peppers and tomatoes don't have nearly as much nicotine as tobacco, so they of course don't provide nearly as much protection. If you want that, you're going to have to ignore your doctor's howls and light one up.
I recommend a quality cigar after meals. Take the smoke into your mouth, not into your lungs (real cigar aficionados make like Slick Willie and don't inhale) and your cheeks will absorb all the healthy compounds.
Along with lowering your risk of Parkinson's, a healthy tobacco habit can protect against dementia, heart disease, and even some forms of cancer.
Not what you've heard? Of course it isn't -- but it's TRUE, and I've got the politically incorrect science to back me up. Click here to learn how you can get all the details. (The link here is not live, and may require a newsletter subscription from W.C. Douglass's site to see the scientific evidence, but his site is easy enough to find.)
Not blowing smoke,
William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Peppers and tomatoes don't have nearly as much nicotine as tobacco,

That refers to the fruit.

However; I have read that the foliage/leaves of the tomato plant contains many times the nicotine that tobacco does.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Good post Boudreaux. :clap:
:puffy:

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Hmmmmmm my father smoked a pipe for 50 years and his mind was smart as a whip when he passed. Glad he paased on his interests to me. If I'm going to go I want it to be with my family that I remember by my side. Not alone in a world with strangers that know me but I don't know.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Excellent post boudreaux - the doctor makes some good points, especially "dancing around the question" part.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Maybe if I smoke my pipe more, I'll remember where I put my car keys in the morning!

:rofl:

Maybe pipe smoking is the preventative for Alzheimer's.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
While I don't have the studies available to me at the moment (though I am sure a fairly quick Google search will bring many results), studies completed have shown that there are, in fact, benefits from nicotine. People who intake Vitamin N have performed better on tests than their non-smoking cousins, are more alert and awake in the morning than those who do not smoke, and are far less likely to be involved in an early morning car accident due to the nicotine stimulating their brains.
Is nicotine addictive? Well, duh, yeah it is. But nicotine by itself, other than being addictive, is not really harmful to the human body, and yes, we all have nicotine receptors in our tiny little brains. Those who smoke have a considerable amount more than those who do not as nicotine seems to cause the receptors to multiple, meaning that by now my entire brain must be composed of nothing but nicotine receptors.
...come to think of it, that would probably explain a lot. :P

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an interesting subject to track. One study or a dozen don't provide a scientific consensus,

much less a proof. That's one of the problems of science journalism; every study of cancer is reported

as an imminent cure, and of course, it's just one interesting study. Nicotine is active in the brain; I think

that's been established. But what it does and if it has any preventative role against diseases are two much

larger questions. Stay tuned. Read the actual published scientific papers if you can. Make sure they are

in legitimate peer-reviewed journals. There's all kinds of silly junk science around. Don't smoke for

health benefits, other than maybe relaxation, at least not yet.

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
meaning that by now my entire brain must be composed of nothing but nicotine receptors.
...come to think of it, that would probably explain a lot. [:P]
I think you just maybe on to something here. :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I know I"m getting smarter since comeing back to the pipe because I make really good excuses to the wife when a pipe comes in the mail, don"t even have to think about it, it comes out brilliantly. :mrgreen:

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
God I hope so.

Cajun, you need to share some of those excuses. Mine don't work anymore & flowers either.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'm reminded of Sherlock Holmes' three pipe problem. And the fact that so many great writers were ardent pipe smokers. And the gentleman clubs devoted to pipe smoking. Not to mention how many seas traversed, mountains climbed, and wars won, all by willful moral men clenching pipes. And how many lived long productive lives, quite lucid to the end. And how today you're hard pressed to name but a handful of truly famous men. Real men in the land of the metrosexual, where all is relative, where right from wrong is not taught for fear of treading on political correctness. Where history is re-written to suit modern sensibilities. Where government does not work, and neighborhoods have ceased to be neighborhoods. All due in part, in large part in my opinion, to the general decline in pipe smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's not so much the content of the excuses when the pipes arrive in the mail, it is the number of the excuses

that have to be created! Save the Obsessive Compulsive disorder until after the first few dozen have hit the

pipe rack. After that, you're on your own.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'd like to see studies of rats with blood nicotine at various doses, versus a nicotine free control group, do mazes. Then the same with other animals, including humans, performing other cognitive tests. It would be simply amazing if nicotine could be proved to heighten motor skills and analytical function. I think this is what Fred Hanna was hinting at in his interview and what the OP is suggesting with this thread. Since its a biochemical given, according to Fred Hanna and the studies he cites, that the human brain has multiple receptors for nicotine, what is the effect on the brain when these receptors are empty or starved for nicotine, versus when they're full and sated with nicotine. This has the power to reverse the general public's view on nicotine. Perhaps, and this is my feeling, the danger from smoking is not from nicotine, but rather lies in inhalation of particulates into the lungs. And here is where pipe and cigar smoking comes into its own. I'm thinking here of the long lucid lives of Bertrand Russell and Winston Churchill, among countless other adherents of the Leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.