PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
As a pack a day cigarette smoker for 20+ years my tolerance to nicotine is pretty high. In fact I've never had a buzz from smoking a pipe, even after not have a cigarette for a week and hitting some rope. Funny thing is however high my tolerance is, if I go more than 6 hours or so, a cigarette will get me to the point where I'm almost stuttering lol. My question is how comparable is a pipe buzz to a cigarette buzz? And how long does it typically last?

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
It lasts me about 15-20 minutes and can be a little more intense than cigs depending on the strength of the tobacco. Read my post "Am I Crazy!" :lol:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Try some Jackknife plug. In a small bowl it kicks my ass. If you haven't tried it, I'll send you some.
That's what my Grandpa smoked. I remember him carving off some chunks and rubbing it in his massive mitts.
What brands of this genre are available? What kind do you smoke?

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
It's been two hours since finishing a bowl of Briar Fox. My head is still reeling. New smoker here...

Jan 8, 2013
+1 fot Jacknife Plug. Am usually go for higher nic blends (hence my ODF obsession) but that stuff kicked my ass.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I've had several styles of ropes and burleys and ODF, but never even came close to a buzz. Maybe a slight tingle in my stomach like when I gut my dip. I've never had JkP, I do have a sealed tin, but it'll probably be a while before I pop that can.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Those nic hits are the worst part of this hobby. Mine can last several hours and basically have me in bed not able to move. I never had a reaction from cigars or my earlier start at pipe smoking. Haddo's Delight and Navigator, both from GL Pease, send me sailing each time, even in smaller bowls.

Because nicotine is absorbed much more slowly through the small blood vessels in the mouth, it takes much longer, thus is better felt with slow slow slow smoking. I also have found that the nicotine overdose feeling lasts me for hours, or until I get something sweet.
A pack a day is rather moderate in my opinion. I could barrel through several packs a day of Camels, back when... But, the strongest blend that I've tried is Pure Caribe. I thought that I was going to lose control of my digestive system on both ends with this blend.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I can't explain it, but cigarettes never gave me the same kind of nicotine wallop that pipe tobacco sometimes can. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. :mrgreen:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I smoked a cigar today that hammered me pretty good and I knew going into it that it would so I ate lunch first. Burley will hit you hard and it's simply because it's got the nicotine content to do just that. Personally I like a good nic hit but don't like to find the room spinning.

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
I've never had JkP, I do have a sealed tin, but it'll probably be a while before I pop that can.
Pop that can and get ready to order a lot more! If I could only have one tobacco for the rest of my life, it would be JKP. This stuff has flavour + body + kick. If you are looking for a nice nicotine hit, this is your blend.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
The last time I got a nic hit was a couple weeks ago. Smoked Dark Bird's Eye in a large-ish Hardcastle Bulldog. I think what nailed me was re-lighting the burnt and saturated dottle at the bottom of the bowl. Damn, it was awful. I was pouring sweat and had to lay down on the kitchen floor for 5 minutes because it's tile and felt cool on my face. I'm a reforming cig smoker too.
On a side note: this experience gave me insight into the practice mentioned in the Sherlock Holmes stories about how he would dry his dottle from the day on the mantle of the fireplace overnight and smoke that after breakfast the following morning.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Peterson Irish Flake and, as others have mentioned, Jack Knife Plug. Those two have very nice nic-kicks to them though the JKP can give you the hiccups if you don't respect it. ODF on the other hand, while having a very satisfying level, it's one I would consider especially strong but I guess everyone's tolerances are different.
Also 1792 flake is pretty strong but I can't handle the aro element to it.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
C&D Old Joe Krantz and G&H Kendall Kentucky. Those two always deliver. I have plenty of other nic heavy blends but those two really stand out.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
81, Im going through the same damn thing. Inhaling 5 brothers does nothing for me. I dont want my piping to be all about Vitamin N, but Im trying to kick the coffin nails so Im trying to substitute high N blends. Irish Flake gave me a damn good buzz, but I dont have time for flakes right now, mostly smoking at work. I just put in a TAD order consisting of notorious high N blends, Dark Birdseye, Old Joe Krantz, Freight Train, and more 5 Brothers. Ill let you know if they work for me.
Question for the experts, will smoking slow give a bigger hit?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Your grandpa had a shit-ton of hair on his chest

Yeah, he was a heck of a man....he was 6'4" tall and nobody gave him crap. A legend @ the potato packing house in Northern ME. First generation Irish immigrant who raised his huge family in poverty like most people pre WWll. I seem to recall the plug came in a clear cellophane wrap? I'm sure it was cheap and strong.
dry his dottle from the day on the mantle of the fireplace overnight and smoke that after breakfast the following morning.

now there's a topic for discussion. I have been using a couple of packing methods but I never smoke my bowl to the bottom resulting in what I now know is referred to as "dottle" by some. I had been dumping it. Silly me? Is this stuff something to be reserved for the seeds and twigs jar or some other stash for later enjoyment?

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I've never tried it except, as I said, lighting and relighting the bottom of the bowl. Maybe this was a common practice during the Victorian period? Hopefully someone can give us a good answer to this in this post. If no one notices here, we can start a new thread and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.