PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
Ok I've been smoking pipes and cigars for the past year....not once have I ever had any buzz of any kind or any craving of any kind for it. So what's it like? I've smoked some cigars that have knocked older more experienced smokers on their asses but never once have I felt any slight buzz, It's just like coffee a cup will make my mother jittery as hell but I can drink it all day without any problem. Just an fyi I don't smoke alot maybe once or twice a week.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
Some people don't catch a buzz from nicotine. When I first started smoking, years ago, I would catch a buzz. If you're wondering what it's like, it is kind of like when you first start to feel drunk. They call it a buzz because that is sort of what your head starts doing. Not a loud buzz, but a very mild hum.
I haven't had a nic buzz in 20 some odd years. Some people, however, get a nic buzz every time they light up. I'm just assuming that it is probably a genetic predisposition of some kind.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Most pipe smokers don't inhale, some do a puff a two a bowl. If you don't inhale, you still breath in some no matter how much you try not to. I believe it depends on how much smoke you 'unintentionally' breath in.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
From what I understand, Vitamin-N (Nicotine) can get absorbed into your bloodstream through the mucus membranes in your mouth and nose, so inhaling is not needed to catch a "buzz". It is also a different type of "buzz" you get from a cigarette. There the act of inhaling gets the Nicotine into your bloodstream very quickly resulting in a "high", complete with raised heartbeat, heightened alertness, and slight jitters (ex-cig smokers probably won't have the same effect, but from my experience, this is a close description of what happens. With pipe smoking, usually the nicotine is slowly absorbed into the bloodstream and it results in a relaxing feeling; almost the direct opposite reaction from cigarettes.
-Jason

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I am a cigarette smoker and due to that I know for sure that smoking a pipe will never give me a buzz.

If you are smoking to get a buzz you might as well just pick up a beer because your efforts will seem wasted after you realize it only lasts a couple minutes.

To answer you question though, they can vary in strength. I have woken up some mornings and smoked a cigarette to get a minor buzz, but there was one time when I first started smoking cigarettes that the buzz was so strong I stumbled around for a little bit. It lasted maybe 5 minutes.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
With pipe smoking, usually the nicotine is slowly absorbed into the bloodstream and it results in a relaxing feeling; almost the direct opposite reaction from cigarettes.
Yes! That's exactly the description I would use! Which is why I posted a threa asking for nicotine heavy blends. It's not the "rush" people crave from cigarettes. It's the meditative relaxing feel that I enjoy

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As a 30+ year cigarette smoker, I can also say that it is more "difficult" to get a nicotine buzz from pipe than from cigarettes due to the slower absorption. This also makes it more relaxing than actually a "picker-upper".
However, I do inhale pipe smoke on occasion. Hence I can say that this is false:
I am a cigarette smoker and due to that I know for sure that smoking a pipe will never give me a buzz
Load up a bowl with Kendal's Kentucky and inhale the stuff... buzz.....and there's a couple of other Vitamin N bomb pipe tobacco's that will do the same. But that's not the purpose of pipe smoking. You want a buzz... grab something else (Alcohol, non-filter Camel cigarette, etc..)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My nic buzz is more like an alcohol overdose drunkeness (not that I do that sort of thing). I can only smoke very light nicotine blends, even a bowel from the lighest blend made will feel like complete drunkeness. The first time I ever drank, I had two drinks and I couldn't stand up, I had to be helped into bed, it's the same way with smoking. My ability to smoke or drink hasn't really gotten any better, it's pretty much stayed the same. The nice thing about it is I get to save a lot of money this way and I'm forced to keep it healthy.
As a side note, I only use pipe tobacco a couple times a week and drink a drink a day. I also never inhale, without inhaling tobacco does not seem additive at all, I have gone entire seasons without it (winters).
So yeah it seems all genetic, everyone is affected vastly differintly. My father can load up on the highest nicotine bomb ever and say, ehh, I never felt it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
IMO, if you want to really test your nic tolerance, just put a big scoop of Skoal or Copenhagen in your mouth and wait a few minutes. If that doesn't affect you, nothing will.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
IMO, if you want to really test your nic tolerance, just put a big scoop of Skoal or Copenhagen in your mouth and wait a few minutes. If that doesn't affect you, nothing will.
I got paid $20 to put a whole can in my mouth for 10 minutes...I made it 5 before there was puke and dip all over the floor. Never felt so horrible in my life! :rofl:

but that was right after boot camp and I hadn't had any nicotine for 3 months (not that I'm saying I could survive a whole can though)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Nicotine is actually a lethal poison. 60 mg of nicotine can kill an adult human, which is the amount you would get from smoking 40 (or eating about 4) cigarettes. If you are a 2-pack a day smoker already, it takes about twice that amount. a mild poisoning will result in dizziness (the spins), headache and vomiting. Extreme poisoning can result in seizures, incapacitation, cardiac arrythmia, coma and death.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
All this from the man who sees you naked last... Makes you think though, doesn't it?
-Jason

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
My 1st experience smoking Turkish Izmir ( I believe a key ingredient of Camel cigs) made me in a mind altered state for an hour. Unfortunately it doesn't have the same effect now. It was great and I ordered more of it immediately. Now I use it as a blending baccy. I don't think you are ever going to get a buzz from the pipe, Treeder13. :puffy:

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
Haha I never want this "buzz" I keep hearing about it's like alcohol I can't stand the stuff and why anyone would just drink for it. I'm rather glad I don't get it I think I'm always relaxed for some reason :D Just thought I'd ask

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I don't really get a buzz either, being a cig smoker. But I can feel a bit dizzy after a bowlfull of 1792. :lol:

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Nicotine seems to have a bad rap. While I find it soothing and sometimes stimulating in a pipe - I can honestly say that I don't feel as addicted as I did when I smoked cigarettes. The plus side of a pipe is that I don't feel compelled to constantly have the pipe going and if I miss a smoke...no big deal. However, that being said - I used to constantly have a cigarette compulsion. There was always a reason to light up. I do think my addiction and compulsion to smoke cigarettes was due to all the other crap that was added by the cigarette companies.
I remember years ago when I tried to give up Marlboro Lights - after a day I started to have sweats, feel light headed - felt downright weird. Then I switched to American Spirits - and didn't have the same withdrawal symptoms I had with the Marlboros. This was the impetus to put aside cigarettes and move to a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.