PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
The old ways still work.
I use a 40 year old 7 ounce Prince Albert tin to hold the bulk tobacco that I smoke at my desk. A couple of weeks ago I decided that the tobacco from the tin was too dry and burning too hot, so I got a small apple, cut it in quarters, and put the apple quarters into the tin with the tobacco. I covered the apple slices with the tobacco. Within a few days, the tobacco was satisfactorily moist, and had gained a nice additional taste. The apple slices were then discarded.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Everything I've ever read discourages using fruit to moisten tobacco because of the risk of mold growth.

I'm glad it worked for you, and didn't ruin your tobacco.

Maybe the preservatives in P.A., if there are any, prevent that from happening.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I found something interesting out. I wanted to smoke my last bit of a fairly dry blend. It was enough for a bowl so no need to rehydrate a lot. I being a science nut decided to experiment. I packed a bowl of this very dry bacci in a cean pipe and using the steam of my own breath blew through the packed bowl. Much like steaming up a window. After a few breaths through the bowl the tobacco was spungy again and smoked absolutly perfectly. So for future thought I figured I would try this on another bowl of a different kind of blend. Worked great again.
So I believe if you wanted to do this on any dried out tobacco it should work perfectly.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
My father and grandfather both tried adding apple slices or orange peels, and both told me long ago it's a great way to add mold to the blend.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I have always moistened my Baccy with an apple slice and never have I had an issue with mold or mildew, just ensure that you remove the slice after a few days. Also you may want to dribble a bit of lemon juice to the apple slice so that it stays fresh longer, but again never a problem.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Spread it in a pan,cover the pan with a clean cheese cloth, spray cheese cloth with water. By the time the water evaporates, the tobacco will be re-hydrated. Jar the 'baccy. Problem solved, with no added flavorings, risk of mold, and so on. :puffy:

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
The wet paper towel trick works well for cigars! makes sense for pipe baccy!

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
My grandfather always had apple slices in his custom blend he stored in a large cookie tin.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Smear a gob of peanut butter to the inside of the lid and close it up for a few days.

It'll probably ruin your tobacco, but it'll give us something to talk about. :lol:

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I found something interesting out. I wanted to smoke my last bit of a fairly dry blend. It was enough for a bowl so no need to rehydrate a lot. I being a science nut decided to experiment. I packed a bowl of this very dry bacci in a cean pipe and using the steam of my own breath blew through the packed bowl. Much like steaming up a window. After a few breaths through the bowl the tobacco was spungy again and smoked absolutly perfectly. So for future thought I figured I would try this on another bowl of a different kind of blend. Worked great again.
This is the method I have always used though it's not often I have to. Some blends are just too dry and they wind up smoking too hot for my liking. C&D's Purple Cow comes to mind as the most recent I've had to actually add moisture to in order to get it to burn the way I like.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I tried the apple thing 40 years ago but didn't like the added flavor and didn't always have an apple handy. Now, I use a paper towel dampened with distilled water. Used to use tap water but had small amounts of mold show up (on cigars, figured the same would happen with pipe tobacco).

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Hawk: check the paper towel trick out here http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/dust-in-the-wind-a-primer-on-tobacco-moisture/

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I take a sheet of paper towel, fold it in half. Place it on the open container and sprinkle water on it. Then i place the container cover on it and seal it. Leave it over night and remove in the morning. This makes it about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.