PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Nice little White Bar. Has what looks like a replacement tenon although I can't find any crack and the tenon has been carefully put in backwards ? The stem has been tapped and threaded for the screw in tenon. The mouthpiece slips over the end of the tenon as a push on. Somewhat strange!! Any guesses as to who made the pipe? Thanks for looking and commenting. Hoppes

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
A nice White Bar indeed, Hoppes. That one was made by Weber sometime in the early-70s to early-80s. Weber was also manufacturing Jobey pipes at the time. So, the tenon isn't a replacement. It's actually a Jobey link (Weber didn't mind cross-breeding pipes). A few late-60s White Bars are floating around with pre-patent Jobey links.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was wondering if Jobey had a hand in this, since my one Jobey has a similar nicely designed threaded stem attachment. Jobey has always been global -- started in France, moved to England, then to the U.S., and finally back to France, though I'm not sure of the timing of all the moves. Mine is a snappy little smooth billiard with point carving and thin metal bands, and a ivory colored stem. For some reason, it specializes in aromatics, really makes the good ones sing.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
@mso489 -- It's my opinion that Jobey was always an American brand prior to Weber's demise and the manufacturing transfer to France in the late 80s. Of course, there is scant evidence remaining regarding the origins of the brand and all of it is circumstantial, but I think there's more that supports an American birth than there is otherwise. In fact, I haven't seen anything that would point to the brand ever being manufactured in England except that somebody somewhere might have said it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.