PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Question for all you Rack Afficianodos here: Do any of you have a pipe rack that holds the pipe by the stem? I've seen some photos on eBay of pipes in a holder that works by inserting the tip of the stem into a slot, and the pipe hangs free. I'm wondering if leaving a pipe hanging by the stem would eventually bend the stem.
Any insight?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have no experience with that type of pipe rack but my concern is gravity may hurt the pipes. Being a guitar player I avoid hanging instruments at all costs. While pipes are infinitely lighter I still don't like the idea. Call me overly cautious but that's my 2 cents.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm thinking the same, John. I have a very nifty idea for a pipe rack that holds the pipes by the bit, but the concept of supporting weight with plastic/rubber/acrylic is probably deeply flawed. I'll move on.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm of the same opinion. But speaking of pipes hanging, why not hang pipes with the stem pointing downward?

I think the only reason pipes sit the traditional way, stem up, is to allow fluids to drain into the bowl.

But these days I think everybody uses pipe cleaners immediately after smoking, so drainage isn't a concern.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It might not hurt a damn thing, but I don't think I'd try it. Clenching a pipe for an hour is one thing, but hanging by the bit for long periods of time? It can't be very good.....or at least I doesn't sound very good!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I've see a few versions of this style of rack/display over the years. Gunner from Totem Star has done something like this I've seen a very cool tree style made from wood too. I remember they were being sold in Chi by two guys dressed in some sort of shepherd costumes complete with the crooked sticks. Another was all over the pipe boards years ago with his design 8O

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's a really cool idea he had there.

I see a lot of potential for disaster though! 8O
Perhaps something similar in a wall mounted version, rather than a "tree",

would be a little safer? That puts your selection at eye level as well.
Move over stuffed animal heads!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.