PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Love the shape and the looks of this one but i sure aint liking the price for a no name
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Briar-Unique-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-Handmade-New-Fantasy-/160705324105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256ac8a449

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
A name is just a name and most of them have been bought out . I like the grain and the shape , but the price . AH no .

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
It is a nice looking pipe, but there is a reason there are no bids on it. I don't trust sellers that call briar "wood" from Ukraine, it just sounds fishy to me.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
It is a great shape. Similar to the one I re-stemmed a week or so ago and posted. I love a long pipe! BUt that price is a joke, designed to catch a fool!

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
The Description said shape may very due to it being hand carved. makes me think that it is not the pipe you will receive.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
You didn't read far enough.

"You can take sure about quality and maternity of this smoking pipe"

In a few months you'll have a whole litter of little pipes.

schacht

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Germany
Hello everyone,
my name is Thilo, I am based in Europe (Germany to be precise), and this the first time I´m sharing something here at the pipesmagazine forums. The simple reason for that is, I just recognized the discussed pipe and I know it´s maker.
This piece was made by Alexander Ponomarchuk from Ukraine, I have to admit that, regarding the price of that pipe, I strongly disagree with most of you and the simple reason for my humble opinion is, that the Ponomarchuk pipe I bought last year, is truly one of the finest smokers I ever had. It tastes sweet and soft, I find it very easy to smoke the pipe and no matter what I´m doing, it never (literally never) gurgles.
By the way - I payed $ 180,- for the Ponomarchuk - a rusticated Lovat Shape. I would say it´s by far a better smoker then most of the other modern pipes I know, - I personally love the way some older Dunhills taste and feel, and maybe the Ponomarchuk is not entirely as sweet and soft as my beloved Dunhill shell from the sixties, but it´s still a very good tasting piece of bruyère. The craftsmanship is remarkably accurate and precise. Shipment was quick and the pipe has been packed savely. I had to transfer the price via moneygram (there´s obviously no paypal in Ukraine). I had my concerns about that, but some other pipesmokers trusted Mr. Ponomarchuk before and I haven´t been disappointed.
Is it overpriced? No, it´s not - not if it´s as good as the Lovat is. If I´d purchase a pipe in that league made by Tom Eltang or the late great Rainer Barbi, it´s at least 350,- to 400,- Euros (about $ 500,-). You might say, Eltang or Barbi are well established freehand carvers and Ponomarchuk isn´t? Well, that´s why I´ll try to purchase some of his pipes, while they are still that cheap. Believe me, I am not trying to hype someone, on the contrary - I think it´s in my best interest to avoid the competition of other potential buyers, but I´m really convinced that Mr. Ponomarchuk deserves a little attention, and that´s why I´m trying to share my pleasure.
SCH_3645_web.jpg
SCH_3650_web.jpg
I´m afraid my english is a little weird and rugged - sorry for that - I hope my opinion on Ponomarchuk´s pipes has been helpful anyway,
Kind regards from Berlin, Germany

Thilo
P.S: Ponomarchuks pipes are sometimes available on Smokers Heaven and La Compagnie des Pipes

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Thanks for your input, Thilo.

This guy might be a good carver, but he wasn't identified on the ebay page - thus the reason everyone thought it overpriced. I just looked at it - no bids, with about 30 minutes to go. It won't sell, because no one knows who made it. Looks nice, though.

schacht

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Germany
Anyhow - I just ask myself, who actually sells the pipe - or these pipes… Ponomarchuk doesn´t understand much english, so there´s possibly someone helping.

I suppose I´ll keep using Ponomarchuk´s web page, whether I gonna buy some of his pipes again.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
thanks for the input schacht, but i dont know u anymore than i know the no name pipemaker. You could be the actual seller for that matter. Really do appreciate the input though and it is one fine looking pipe for sure

schacht

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Germany
I promise - believe it or not - I am positively not this seller, and I have not the slightest personal or commercial relationship with Mr. Ponomarchuk.

I just bought one of his pipes, am a very lucky customer - and the chances that I sell it, are certainly homeopathic.
Kind regards

Thilo
[edit]By the way - I wouldn´t bid on that pipe as well, too strange that the carvers well known name is not mentioned… but Ponomarchuk himself seemed to be a really nice guy.[/edit]

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
reckon ur right schacht, i just googled Ponomarchuk and he is a pipemaker and apparently a very good one at that. and prices r in the high end too. Guess for some reasom we just dont know bout him here. His entire line is very beautiful for a fact and he seems to git awsome reviews from the ppl who own one of his smokers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks for the insight Schacht. It's unfortunate the maker wasn't identified in text/listing or the photos as it looks like a beautiful pipe. The seller also has plenty of positive feedback, but only one referencing a pipe, which is not a vote of confidence to a pipe buyer. Hopefully the seller learns a thing or two and markets Mr. Ponomarchuks pipes more effectively. He won't sell many if he doesn't. Surely there are some European ebay sellers that specialize in pipes, selling thru them would be an instant reputation builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.