PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Like any good scrounger I check online classified ads for pipes almost (okay always) daily.
This little grab was better than most. The Pete 317 is flying south in a trade for a Custombilt Rhodesian (thanks Andrew!) three of the pipes are beyond repair so they'll become testers for repairs I am not comfortable with yet, the others will be passed on to new homes.
I'm particularly pleased with the leather; a Comoy's 7 pipe travel bag, and Brigham 'baccy pouch. They'll both stay with me.
The humidor is made of some sort of resin, it feels like plastic but is softer like it has some rubber content. I'm on the fence about it... It has a nice cork gasket and seal though.
D235F404-7BD7-410F-8DB3-595F724BDC2E_zpszpe0pcf1.jpg

-- Pat

K

klause

Nice score, Pruss.
That Amphora is a cracker - t'will make someone a lovely flake pipe. I rate 'em highly :)

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
That bottom center bulldog/rhodesian pipe looks promising. Which one is it? Good score!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
And the skater, top center? Nice find!
How did the green bulldog turn out on the last deal? Was it a Dr. Grabow?

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Good looking haul. Im with peteguy, which one is the bulldog? Thats a great looking pipe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
The rusticated dog is, unfortunately, one of the pipes beyond repair. The shank was snapped just above the heel, and epoxied back together. The name on the shank is "Mackenzie".
The pipe at the top right is a delightful little Amphora. It'll be a great flake heart.
-- Pat

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice score. I refurbed an Amphora just like that one for someone. It turned out to be a good looking pipe, but I've never smoked one.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
On the Mackenzie, it's a question of ROI. The pipe is a low end pipe, it has been snapped roughly across the shank and the fix was botched.
I'm not hurting for pipes, and it doesn't speak to my aesthetic, nor my sentimentalism regarding things historical. Thus, it will serve as a piece to experiment on, a donor of briar plugs for other pipes, and a testimonial to the fact that good enough for some isn't good enough for others.
Now, that all having been said. If any of you other repair guys wanna take a swing at this pipe... Flip me a PM and I'll send it down your way, on the promise that you post pictures of the before and after on the repair.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.