PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
It has a very nice blast but its still an estate so IMO it is priced high. It looks to be un-smoked so $300-$350 is probably more appropriate.
Then again it says caliper grade and I don't know how much those retail for.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
It depends on your budget. If ya got extra dough and love it, buy it..who cares what others think it's worth. :)
Personally,I prefer buying nice smoked estate pipes in the $100-160 range. I choose to buy expensive tobaccos instead.
In saying that, I think it's a great pipe. For some people money is not a factor in purchasing decisions. For others? Well, you know. The most I ever spent on a pipe was 300 bucks, a brand new Lorenzetti. She's a nice classy pipe. I hardly ever smoke the poor thing.
I like the older Petes...that have been maintain and broken in. I just hate breaking in a new pipe, drives me nuts. Ebay just had a perfect (and older) Peterson Mark Twain that went for 138 smackers. OTOH, you got your "handcarved" artesian pipes and your factory " fraized" pipe comparison to consider.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The pipe in question is worth 350.00-400.00 at the high end, caliper grades retail around 700 if memory serves . Of course if you love it and the money is not an issue, then go for it. Just know that it is not an investment type pipe. I would jump all over it for 300.00 as I am cheap, no way 500.00 though.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I saw that pipe on eBay from the same seller some time ago listed for the same price with best offer. If you send him an e-mail he may negotiate, particuarly since it hasn't sold in some time. I think Harris is right on about the value. I'm always wary of makers with a grading system. Grading is in the eye of the beholder, and my eyes don't match with Ruthenberg's. I think many of his regular grade pipes are better looking than the few calipers I have seen. The blast on that one is nice but the shaping just looks a bit off in some spots, which can happen with a deep sandblast such as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.