PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could give me a recommendation on a good aromatic flake tobacco. I like to smoke Gawith & Hoggarth aromatics (e.g. Exclusiv Black Cherry) when out in public, ideally anything with a nice room note/aroma to the smoke. I heard someone describe those blends as "wife friendly" once, which isn't far off what I'm looking for.
My favourite flakes are mostly technically "Aromatics" anyway, albeit Lakelands or older fashioned British and Irish blends- Erinmore Flake, St. Bruno Flake, Condor Long Cut, I even had someone (a cigarette smoker) remark my Ogden's Walnut Flake (my all-time favourite) smelled really nice even though it isn't an aromatic. I also love Ennerdale and 1792 flake and Conniston Cut Plug but they may not be so liked by the public. I just think flakes work so well for smoking when out-and-about as they seem to burn slowly in a light breeze and can be easily carried around, in my case usually a handkerchief.
I was tempted by Mac Baren's vanilla cream flake as that seemed to be quite good quality, but I have never tried it or done a test on non-smokers to see what they think of the aroma. It's difficult because most aromatics I would consider sweet e.g. Danish cavendish blends with vanilla or cherry flavourings often come as ready rubbed pouches. Can anyone help me with finding a decent flake that smells pleasant to non-smokers? Many thanks

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Capstan Flake Blue isn't considered an aromatic, but it has a sweet cedar like smell and aroma to me that I really like.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

@Cosmic That's good to know, it may not be so bad if the tobacco is lower in nicotine. I like to relax at home with high nicotine blends but that's harder to do if I'm smoking on the go, as it were. I have never smoked a Solani blend before; I have my eye on some Aged Burley Flake at the moment but that's great if their Mango Flake is worth trying.

@folanator I live in the UK.

@cigrmaster & cosmic Great idea, I love a good virginia flake. Is the apricot topping similar to Erinmore?

@mother I need to seek some out, I've been wanting to try real Capstan for a while but in the UK we mostly get a lower quality OTC pouched version

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
@Cosmic I'm with you re: Erinmore having that kind of aroma in the tin. I just heard that the "essence" they added to the tobacco was actually from apricot extracts, despite the pineapple logo. I may be wrong. If the tobaccos in the Vanilla Cream Flake mesh well with the topping that's great; it means I have something to enjoy while other people enjoy the scent from the smoke (hopefully).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
molach, I found Erinmore to be sickly sweet and not enjoyable. I love sweet Virginia's but whatever they top Erinmore with, is over the top for me.

P

pipebuddy

Vanilla Cream and Modern Virginia Flakes will come by as kind of flat to you, considering what you like.

However, if you can get it, Ennerdale Flake is a winner both on nicotine and as a crowd pleaser.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
@pipebuddy I was a bit concerned they'd be somewhat flat but I'll definitely give them a try, I was willing to compromise due to the cut and room note. I'll probably get some Ennerdale Flake (easy enough for me to get here) and try it out in public and see if it does the trick.
@cigrmaster A lot of people say that. It's not for everyone, like Lakelands, but out of interest did you smoke the mixture or the flake? The mixture has a stronger topping on it I reckon, or it's more pronounced than in the flake form which I found to be more rounded. I tend to think nearly all British and Irish tobaccos, the traditional topped VaBurs I mean, taste best as flakes. I think Condor is a good example; the RR cut version and the flakes (long cut) are a bit like curry or chilli IMO; completely fresh, you can taste the spices individually and it can be sometimes harsh, but left overnight they marry together and become more rounded. Condor Long Cut is like that I think, same with Erinmore and St. Bruno

Oh, and if you like Condor, give War Horse plug a chance. It’s kind of strong on the topping, but after a year it calms down to a more well balanced aromatic. Maybe two years. I didnt write the date on my tins. But, your mailman will hate you, ha ha. It was so strong when I got my first order of thirty tins, that the smell stunk up his truck.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
The nicest aromatic Flake is Bob’s Chocolate Flake.

Even the name evokes niceness...who doesn’t like chocolate? And who doesn’t like Bob?

To me BCF is mild to medium, both in flavor and strength, and leaves a pleasant aftertaste.

Curl, I’m putting it on my next order. I kept forgetting about that one, but now is the time. It has latakia, right?

Also Orlicks Strong Dark Kentucky... it’s not an aromatic, per se... but, if you pop a fresh tin, you’ll get a licorice-like casing flavor.

Also, Stokkebyes Luxury Twist Flake is a Virginia Cavendish with a cocont casing crushed into a neat looking flake. It has a little stregnth to it if smoked slow.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Cosmic, were you referring to the War Horse Bar or War Horse Green? I've been thinking of trying the Ready Cut.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
War Horse Bar (Red) is a great tobacco...plenty of flavor and nic, too. Not a flake but Butternut Burley is a wonderful all day smoke and is considered an aro.

Haven't tried the Green WHB and I've heard the ready rubbed War Horse is 3rd in the list of favorites.
Thank you SToP for bringing back some old favorites and a US product to boot. Something that I personally support wholeheartedly. Keeping the hobby alive in the face of FDA regs.

Status
Not open for further replies.