Nic Kick

(26 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by dhizzy
  • Latest reply from lordofthepiperings
  1. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, new to pipe smoking. So far, I have only tried aromatics. I hear about a nic kick but am wondering, do you guys get this b/c you inhale? Or is it just otherwise absorbed/ingested? I do a good deal of my smoking either outside or in my car. I often leave the windows up and I still don't get it. How does this occur? Do you have to smoke Latakia or Perique? Not that I WANT to feel sick b/c that sensation sucks. Got it once from a cigar and I was as useless as tits on a hog for half an hour. Lemme have it.

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 7 years ago #
  2. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try smoking SG 1792 Flake, you'll feel the nic for sure.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi Dhizzy,
    I'm sure you'll get some recommendations for strong tobaccos... Nicotine-wise.
    One that will give me a nic-kick in the posterior with my coffee in the AM is:
    G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight
    There are numerous others.

UncleArthur.. What's that Bear S%#+ in the Woods blend called again?

Billy Bud might be another, and some Burley Blends as well.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 7 years ago #
  4. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I get that some blends are much higher in nicotine content but are you guys inhaling? All? Just some? None? I guess my question is how are you getting the kick? Is it intentional or does it just happen? Seems to me you could avoid it if you wanted to by not inhaling and being in a ventilated area?

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do inhale but only once or maybe twice per bowl...
    Left-over kinesthetic memory from my old "coughin' nail" days.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. rickpal14

rickpal14

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was given a sample of Bracken Flake by Baskerville59 and tried it a few weeks back and I just picked myself off the floor yesterday..... Man what a Nic wallup!! Funny part was half way thru the bowl I was like..." no problem....." then "WHAM!!"

I don't inhale, like most pipers, so I am inclined to believe you can still get bit without inhaling.....

Liked the Bracken Flake though.. just have to take it easy!!

Proud Member of the BlackBlood Society...........
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Rickpal, that helps. I guess I'm a bit of a dork in that it interests me as to how it difuses to the bloodstream. Must be similar to dip or chew and enters the blood stream through absorption in the mouth before exhaling.

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in the same boat with Lawrence, I inhale maybe once or twice a bowl, and if I am outside I french inhale maybe every 3-6 puffs.

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

The nicotine is absorbed through the mucus membranes of the mouth, and there are two factors that come into play- 1) Nicotine content of the blend (Burleys, especially the dark ones, are high in nic, as is cigar leaf; Virginias, unless heated and pressed for an extended period, tend to be low), and, 2) The pH of the smoke. If the pH is low (acidic), the body doesn't absorb the nicotine easily; if it's high (alkaline), the body will absorb it readily.

Russ

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. jallen49

jallen49

Login to Send PM

for a nic-kick, try nearly ANY of Gawith Hoggarts or Samuel Gawith's plugs/ropes, they will knock you down silly.

Also, Peterson's Irish Flake is known for having quite a kick.

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. jasongone

jasongone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i am glad i am not the only one who sometimes french inhales.

Posted 7 years ago #
  12. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love SG blends like 1792 or Bracken for that good AM Nic kick in the pants

I hear Peterson Irish Flake is good too (still must try this one) but also
    like my Peterson UF or Dunhill Flake in the AM as a wake-up call with coffee

No inhale for me

Posted 7 years ago #
  13. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys, good gouge.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. salewis

salewis

Login to Send PM

You probably get that nick kick from the tobacco your smoking. Most pipe smokers do not inhale. However, the tobacco is absorbed through the membranes of you mouth and some tobacco are a high PH and cause a nick kick. Some tobaccos contain more nicotine than others which is another consideration to the nick kick as mentioned by others.

See GLP Peases explanation of nick kicks on his Q and A's on this site. This piece is very enlightening.

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

What Russ said:

The nicotine is absorbed through the mucus membranes of the mouth, and there are two factors that come into play- 1) Nicotine content of the blend (Burleys, especially the dark ones, are high in nic, as is cigar leaf; Virginias, unless heated and pressed for an extended period, tend to be low), and, 2) The pH of the smoke. If the pH is low (acidic), the body doesn't absorb the nicotine easily; if it's high (alkaline), the body will absorb it readily.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Pick up a pouch of Prince Albert, have a bowl and a cup of coffee, you'll feel great by the time you get to the bottom of that coffee cup!

Posted 7 years ago #
  17. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No shame in frenching your pipe!

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and lawrance that bear sh^t as my wife calls it is Bow Legged Bear and it has a great Nic kick much stronger than haddos for me anyways

and i seam to remember Mr Please saying sumtin about getting nic from saliva being swallowed and getting into your system through your stomach its always smart to eat befor smoking a high nic smoke

another one ya may wanna try is black frigate very rummmy

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and i seam to remember Mr Please saying sumtin about getting nic from saliva being swallowed and getting into your system through your stomach its always smart to eat befor smoking a high nic smoke

Yep, one night I smoked a rather strong blend with some whiskey on an empty stomach. Next thing I know, hot and cold sweats, and suddenly came the wretching.

It happens and I'm very very careful with the stronger blends than I was that night, lol.

Southerners don't talk slow because they're dumb, we do it because there's really no rush.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  20. mlaug

mlaug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I admit that a nic hit isn't something I seek out. I find the whole experience to be less fun than hitting my gut with a burrito overload.

I'm a nic wussy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." - Claire Wolfe
    Posted 7 years ago #
  21. pawpaw

pawpaw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i am trying to wheen myself from the nic. my tolorance was pretty high when i was a 3 pack a day smoker

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. daveleitz

daveleitz

Login to Send PM

I once smoked Peterson's Irish Flake on an empty stomach. It put me off smoking for a bit!

It's amazing how you can do without the necessities of life provided you have the little luxuries.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  23. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

i inhale once or twice a bowl so that i can exhale through my nose. sometimes i inhale on accident because im just breathing and inhale smoke, which isnt pleasant.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 7 years ago #
  24. oldmaus

oldmaus

Login to Send PM

No inhaling here.....but an occasional nic kick or niccups!

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I inhale every third or fourth puff. Nic is a vital ingredient in the pipe experience (at least for me).

Posted 7 years ago #
  26. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't inhale on purpose. Peterson's University Flake also has a pretty good nic-kick to it as well.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   odobenus, craig61a, disinformatique