Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Do they exist? I'm looking for a heavy nicotine content, but is still an aromatic.
I know I don't like lats. I like many of boswells and Macbaren aros, so if there's something similar, I might gravitate towards those.
You guys have any suggestions for tasty heavy nic aros?
Thanks!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I haven't heard of any? It might be a double standard, as I thnk most aro's don't have a lot of nic? what about mixing a aro with a stong nic tobacco?

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
As noted, there aren't very many but I can think of a handful. Haddo's Delight is a heavy hitter, although some wouldn't call it an aro (I classify it as such). Pennington Gap is a great aromatic and has pretty decent strength from all the perique. Autumn Evening has a reasonable amount, as well. Shortcut to Mushrooms isn't strong, necessarily, but it's also not as weak as many others.

Most of the strong aros are made by Gawith Hoggarth, mainly the "Lakeland" style blends, which are traditional British-style aromatics. Not everyone likes the flavors, but they have a loyal following. Bosun Cut Plug, Coniston Cut Plug, #7 Broken Flake, Kendal Flake and Dark Flake all have plenty of nicotine and flavor.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Autumn Evening is the first blend I will try in honor of the passing of you know who, soon as I make my next tobacco purchase in like a year 8O I am also looking forward to trying out Moontrance because those are my favorite cheap cigars right now.
Keep up these awesome suggestions :)

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Today i tried mixing 1792 with some Gawith Hoggarth American Vanilla as it seemed like a logical step due to the Tonkin bean, it was superb!

Full on vanilla flavor was there but with that 1792 strength.

johnny

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake Scented or Samuel Gawith 1792 would be a good place to start

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Is the Sam Gawith 1792 a smokey/campfire smelling type?
Thanks for the suggestions guys!!

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I just ordered an ounce of SG brown rope no 4 rum, will have it tomorrow. It's a funny thing, when I first started pipe smoking I preferred the mild tobacco blends, now they are ok for daytime smoking but I want more, have been mixing cigar leaf from a Cuban or two I crumbled up and mixing with the mild tobacco, even during the day. I'm hoping the rope I ordered will give me a decent kick in the arse for the after dinner go to. Also did a trade with Cobguy for some cakes.
But isn't it wierd how your tastes change from starting out to when you can appreciate the blending of good tobacco's

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
have been mixing cigar leaf from a Cuban or two I crumbled up and mixing with the mild tobacco
I keep a nice stash of cigar leaf on hand to use a spice tobacco for blends that don't give me enough flavor or taste too much like cigarette tobacco.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Glad to know I'm not the only one to mix cigar tobacco with pipe tobacco that's too mild.
But is it normal for your taste to change from mild tobacco to stronger, or would that just have been because I was starting out and liked the mild at first. I still love the Carter Hall and Prince Albert but I prefer them for early in the day and when I'm out during the day.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I make my own mixture of 40% Lane's 1Q, 40% Sutliff D-40 Vanilla, and 20% cubed Burley for Nic kick. I call it "Fat Bastard".

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I just ordered an ounce of SG brown rope no 4 rum, will have it tomorrow.
That was the first rope i tried about a year ago and i loved it, still do. It has a ton of flavor and a very good but not too overpowering nic kick. I smoked the hell out of that stuff for a couple months until i got sick of it, lol. I think you'll enjoy it, toby.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Five Brothers mix would work, or C&D Dark Burley. The SG rope sounds like an experience.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I save all the tips of my cigars and if I have a blend that is to light I will chop us the cigar that I have left and will add it to the pipe tobacco.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Peterson's University Flake is a fairly stout VaBur flake with a touch of blueberry casing. A new one, which I haven't tried yet, is Rattray's Buckingham which is a mixture of Virginia, Burley and Black Cavendish flavoured with Hickory nuts, Vanilla and Cinnamon. It is supposed to be of medium strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.