PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwoodblues

Lurker
Oct 18, 2017
First...I'm not slamming CH...I do like it for how easy it is to smoke! I've been smoking for about 2 weeks now and I think I would like to try something with a bit more flavor. I have a pearwood pipe and a MM Legend cob. I would like to try something non-aromatic I think. I was reading up on different baccies and I think a Virginia deal seems appealing.
Or...feel free to tell me that my palate ain't ready for anything else and to keep jammin' CH into my bowls for now.
Thanks for any tips.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Oh, no. Feel free to try anything that strikes your fancy. Some people try all kinds of stuff, only to go back to Carter Hall or whatever they started on. I personally would recommend you try Orlik Golden Sliced.

May 4, 2015
As per usual, aldecaker speaks the troof. PM me your address and I'll send you some samples with some notes.

elwoodblues

Lurker
Oct 18, 2017
That Orlik Golden Slice looks good. And @pipesmokingTom, that is a very kind gesture! I don't wanna put anyone out anything, so if you have any suggestions, I'd be very thankful for just that. :) Sourcing the stuff is part of the fun.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Or...feel free to tell me that my palate ain't ready for anything else and to keep jammin' CH into my bowls for now.
Your palate will speak to you loud and clear on its own, but don't ever take it as the final word. If your taste buds say "get me outta here" for any given blend, jar it up and put it away for a month. I almost guarantee it will taste different. Keep doing this for as many blends as you feel is right.
It took me a year to find out that I'm a curmudgeonly old codger. Carter Hall, Mac Baren Golden Extra and the occasional bowl of Mac Baren Vanilla Creme. Real easy to keep track of my "cellar" :rofl:

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Hey elwood

I have been smoking a pipe for about a year and a half and have been working my way thru many different blends and types of tobacco. 1 my pallet has definately evolved. Different blends i tried early i have gone bqck and given 2nd tries and found all new flavors i missed the 1st time , which was also caused by smoking to fast.exploring new tobaccos is a great journey. Every month i have a new favorite!!

I was smoking mostly aromatics but i tried hearth and home white knight as my 1st attempt at "real tobacco"...it was a complete game changer for me and really opned up the whole experience for me.

2nd one is escudo. That got me to apprceiate the experience of flavor from smoking a pipe properly.

I feel both of those are simple but enjoyable tobaccos.
Just my 2 cents. Enjoy!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Get yourself some Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake, dry the heck out of it (it will need it) then sit back and enjoy that pure Virginia flavour...rather as I'm doing right now.
Regards,
Jay.

Dec 28, 2015
To repeat a lot of what has been said, Orlik Golden Sliced and Peter Stokkebuy luxury navy Flake are a great introduction into Virginia flakes. And also don’t let the horror stories about how difficult the prep and smoking of full Virginia Flake are. Once you get it dried properly it is the most sublime smoke in the world.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
First...I'm not slamming CH...I do like it for how easy it is to smoke! I've been smoking for about 2 weeks now and I think I would like to try something with a bit more flavor. I have a pearwood pipe and a MM Legend cob. I would like to try something non-aromatic I think. I was reading up on different baccies and I think a Virginia deal seems appealing.
Thanks for any tips.
Shame on you. There is no 'next step'. Carter Hall is it. The beginning and the end. The Alpha and the Omega. Just accept it. :lol:
But seriously, if you are looking for another great blend, try Peterson Sunset Breeze. It is an excellent, lightly-topped aromatic with very little PG that smells and tastes wonderful. The topping is like a mango/coconut/pineapple that blends nicely with the natural tobacco flavors, and the room note is divine. Plus it also smokes very cool with no bite. And if it is too sweet for you, give it some drying time. That will fix it.

elwoodblues

Lurker
Oct 18, 2017
I went to a local tobacco shop today (they actually care about pipes and pipe tobacco and not vape crap!) and bought an oz of VA flake. Smoked a bowl tonight in my pearwood pipe and I think it went well. Couple things:

1. How do you know if you're smoking it too hot? I got minimal tongue bite at first and could hold my fingers over the bowl indefinitely and the pipe up to my cheek indefinitely, so it passed those tests I guess.

2. I rubbed it out to be about ribbon like. I think next time I might leave it a little chunkier.

3. It was really hard to get going, probably took like 5 or 6 lights to get a burn going. Afterwards, I probably had to relight maybe 4 or 5 times over the next hour or so I smoked it (so about 10-15 mins between relights), so I'm happy with that I think.
Thanks again for all the advice! I was planning on ordering the Orlik stuff but figured I'd give local a shot.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
@elwoodblues

I too have trouble getting flakes lit and staying lit without scorching them. I first let the flakes dry longer than I think i need to, I also pack them lighter than I think I need to and finally, I try and top the bowl with a really finely rubbed out , even powdered tobacco, doing this seems to prime the bowl and are lighting easier and required less relights.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd try two or three one ounce baggies (bulk tobacco, so-called) from Cornell & Diehl, McClellands, or Peter Stokkebye. Since you're just starting, go with blends categorized as mild, and from different genres, maybe an English, a Virginia, and a burley. You can do all of this in one order from one of the online retailers on the sponsor list in red at the left of Forums page, so you'll only pay shipping once. If you want to splurge, you could order four or five different blends, but take it slow. You probably want to keep these in jars to keep them from drying out. Have fun.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
Thats how I got started. I went to tobacco reviews.com and looked up the most highly recommended blends for each category (english, virginia, burley, aromatic, etc) and bought an ounce or 2 of each.

I now have an impressive cellar, some blends I love, some not so much, which I will try out at a later date and some that I end up giving away or dumping them into the trash.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes the blends get better with age, and sometimes your tastes get better with age, so give those reject blends a few years.

danb77

Lurker
Sep 19, 2017
I am new to smoking also, I went from carter hall to C&D Haunted Bookshop. Its just as easy to smoke but a bit more full body.

elwoodblues

Lurker
Oct 18, 2017
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Right now, I've smoked two bowls of the VA flake in my pearwood pipe and like it, but got it a little hot the second time. I think I let it dry too long. It was better the first time when I let it dry for a half hour instead of a day.
Going to try it my cob within the next few days if I get a chance to sit down and actually enjoy something besides school work...

Status
Not open for further replies.