Pipes Magazine » Food & Drink - Restaurants and at Home - Recipes Too

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Next Single Malt To Buy?

(38 posts)
  1. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I gave up alcohol for a short while. Mostly to lose weight and recalibrate my tolerance. I figured when I do decide to have a dram it might as well be a decent one. My reward has been to buy a single malt for each month I haven't drank. So far I have rewarded myself with Glinlivit 12, Glenlivit Founders Reserve, Glenorange, and Laphroaig 10.

I have some ideas but I thought it would be interesting to see what others choices would be to get next. Price range is under $60, single Malt Scotch. I'm due for one more this month and a special reward for December that could go a little over $60. So two bottles to choose, GO!

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Talisker 10. The 18 is amazing, but a little pricier. The 10 is darn tasty.
    for something a little sweeter, Cardhu.
    I haven't had any scotch for years, but I used to enjoy these quite a bit. Okay, a lot.

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Made in San Francisco, St. George Single Malt Whiskey. Excellent drink; I just wish we could get it here in Pa.

http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/st-george-single-malt-whiskey/

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Balvenie "DoubleWood" 12 is one of the best malts out there, period, and in around that price point.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ardbeg 10 year old!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I'd second Ardbeg 10 or possibly go with Highland Park 12. But I do have a weakness for Islay whisky. Depending on where you live I've heard of mythical sales of Lagavulin 16 for less than $60 in states where Costco can stock it. I have to buy Lagavulin online to get it for less than $80 but it's still worth every penny.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

auburnfan

Login to Send PM

+1 for talisker

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doublewood gets a second vote. Simply a fantastic scotch at a great price.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree with all of the above sugggestions. Also:

Laphroaig 10 YO Cask Strength, Batch 007, or Batch 008 (if you can find it)

US Single Malts (if available in your area):
    Colkegan (Sante Fe, NM)
    Deerhammer (Buena Vista, CO - locals pronounce it "B'yoona Vista")

Blended Scotch:
    Monkey Shoulder (blend of Glenfiddich, Balvenie, & Kininvie) - my favorite inexpensive blended Scotch

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great choices gents.

My top choices are Balvinie double wood, and Ardbeg. Now I'm torn because Lagavulin 16 is $63 US and Talisker is calling my name! I really like Islay malts in the cool weather. So many nice whiskys to choose from. I did check into Monkey Shoulder and that looks very promising for $25. St George spirits is just north of me but I've never tried any of their spirits. Looks interesting also. im specifically looking at Scottish whisky though.

We just had a "total wine and more" store open near where I work and they have quite the selection. Also the best prices in my area! They really market their own whisky with their own private labels. Some get decent reviews. Some not so much. So I'm sticking to tried and true brands I know are legit. For now at least. I will dabble in those after I give Monkey Shoulder a go.

Thanks for the input

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally fancy Jura, Dalmore, or Lagavulin. They are a tad pricier, but if you only drink every so often it is definitely worth it.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For an Islay I'd go for Ardbeg 10, one of the very best there is. Especially in the last couple of years they've had an upswing in quality compared to '13-'14. If you're looking for something without smoke I like Aberlour. Good quality for lesser price. The special edition Aberlour A'bunadh is a real gem and a serious CS hitter but that might be above your stated price limit. Good luck! Do let us know what you landed on

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last single malt I bought was a few years ago, as a birthday gift for a friend in Queens, at a shop in Queens. 'Don't remember the brand, but it was aged maybe 12 years. I didn't get to sample it until we'd been out to eat and gotten home. It was $80, and was silky smooth and worth every dime.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I spent some time browsing the scotch isle this morning and ended up bringing home Ardbeg 10 year old. Mostly because I needed to add a nice smoked peaty whisky to my humble collection. I've started a wish list with some of the suggestions made here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I received a $10 off a $50 purchase coupon in the mail this weekend! So today I stopped by the store and after browsing a bit I saw the last bottle of Oban 14 for $60. I shelled out $50 and that lonely bottle came home with me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

+ another for Talisker. Nothing quite like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oban is good too.

I second the Ardbeg and Lagavulin folks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good picks! I'm sure you'll enjoy them both!

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. bluesmoke

bluesmoke

Login to Send PM

Aberlour A'bunadh--aged in sherry casks
    Double wood
    Hedonism--from Compass Box, a blended scotch, but uniquely as good as, and better than many single malts.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am thoroughly convinced that the very best whisky generally available is Lagavulin 16. This presupposes that you like peaty, salty Islays, of course. (One wag said sipping Lag16 was like "drinking a burned church.) But you mention Laphroaig so you supposedly do not object to some smoke.

If Lag16 is too much in the vein, Ardbeg (their 10 is their standard) is a bit less peat forward while still having the taste of smoke and sea you want in an Islay. Tallisker (not an Islay, as it is distilled on Skye) is clearly a close cousin and a bit less peaty even than Arbeg -- while still holding interest for those of us who want that sort of thing.

I am not typically a fellow to drink Highland singles. But I have a special love for Oban. It is a Highland, but a West a Highland, and distilled next to the sea, so perhaps that is why.

So, in descending order of peaty goodness:

Lagavulin 16
    Arbeg 10
    Tallisker 10
    Oban 14

You will likely find that is a descending order of price point, too, from the Lag at ~$100 to the Oban at ~$50.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lagavulin 16 is $60.99 where I'm located. Talisker 10 year old is $55.99. I have 4 in opened bottles at the moment. I've been drinking blends to keep me from opening the single malts. I'm starting a new job on Friday so I think that gives me an excuse to buy something new for December. I have a 9 bottle wine rack that I store them in. Who knows if my willpower holds I would like to have it filled with quality bottles. Seems like a good goal to aim for. I've been eyeing Caol Ila 12 year that's $60.

Has anyone tried Bruichladdich the classic laddie? I have another coupon for $10 off $50 at this store. So with that coupon it would cost me $44.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, thanks to this thread, I'm just going to have to try some Lagavulin.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Chocolate for me! Vanilla is too boring, and strawberry tastes like medicine.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Highland Park 12 in the under $60 bracket.
    Over - depends on how much over. Talisker 10 and Lagavulin 16 have both been mentioned. Oban 14 is another good one.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

Glenrothes Select Reserve

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2666/glenrothes-select-reserve

My favorite

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on Lagavulin if you want peat. Glenmorangie is great, and if you like it, Glenkinchie is in the same vein. Some of their editions are matured in sherry or port casks, making them rounder and fruityer, if you want a contrast to Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

Laphroaig 10 yo rings my bell.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my favs has been The Macallan 12 Year Old Fine Oak, price is around $68/bottle.

Color: Pale Straw
    ABV: 40%
    Nose: Complex with a hint of fruit and heather honey
    Palate: Soft and malty balanced with oak and fruit
    Finish: Lingering with hints of oak and fruit

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Laphroaig 10 is my go to as well. I went through a phase of trying a ton of different Islay single malts but eventually realized nothing could beat Laphroaig for the money to my tastes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Laphroaig 10 is on my list. I was gifted a bottle of the Quarter Cask for my bday and wanted to compare. I’ve been getting into Malts, but up here in Canada it’s pricey. Not 50$ a tin pricey but it’s up there!

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well the glenmorange, and Glenlivit's were consumed during December and have been replaced.

Now my collection consists of,

Laphroaig 10
    Laphroaig Quarter cask
    Lagavulin 16
    Ardbeg 10
    Balvenie double wood. ( 3 bottles because I like it and price to quality ratio)
    Oban 14, minus a Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve drink.

I practice a dry January every year to balance out indulgent December. So the collection is safe until February.

I want a bottle of Oban 18 year but it's out of stock until June. All good things come to those who wait I suppose? I would just hold onto it for a very special occasion anyway.

I've got a coupon for $10 off, if you spend at least $40 that expires at the end of the month. I have the peaty smoke malts well represented in my collection. I'm now meditating on my next acquisition. 2018 is starting off rather well I would say.

Happy New Years to all of you! Hope you all have a great 2018!

Buster

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glenfarclas 15, Paul John Edited, Paul John Brilliance, Paul John Bold, Lismore 8, 10, 18.

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Glenfarclas Cask Strength.

Posted 10 months ago #
  34. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

I'll second the Balvenie 12 Years. I used to love all the Balvenie offerings. They're fantastic.

Posted 10 months ago #
  35. whiteburleydude

whiteburleydude

Login to Send PM

Lagavulin 16 is now pushing $90 almost everywhere, but it's great. I don't think anyone mentioned Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 year old. 86 proof, no color, no chill filtering, under $60.

Posted 10 months ago #
  36. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Scotch irritates my plumbing, so mostly I follow my adopted region and enjoy bourbon now and then. However, one time visiting friends in Queens NYC, we bought our friend a single malt at the local liquor store. It was a birthday, so we spent eighty bucks. Alas, I didn't write down the name of it ... best damned Scotch I've ever tasted, beautiful buzz, and no hangover to speak of. He shared it with the group, but there was quite a bar, so I finished off the evening with the Scotch, and it was lovely.
    ...oh no, I posted about the same eight months ago! Gotta read the whole thread and can the recitations. At least I quoted the same price. Mumble, mumble.

Posted 10 months ago #
  37. magicpiper

magicpiper

Login to Send PM

I'll second anything Glenfarclas!

Posted 9 months ago #
  38. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

For under $60 you can't go wrong with Glenfiddich 12 Year. $49 here in PA. Even the outstanding Glenfiddich 14 Year Bourbon Barrel is only $55, and the 15 Year Solera Reserve just a bit over at $63.

I also recommend:

The Macallan Double Cask 12 Year, also less than $60.
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask around $55 and/or Triple Wood at about $65.

Posted 9 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dcon, gorillafly, mso489, ashdigger, brooklynpiper, clickklick, cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, alaskanpiper, ron123